Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 09:16:27 AM

Author Topic: Discrete input/Brains  (Read 4229 times)

Discrete input/Brains
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
Hi,
I have a little problem using discrete inputs in a brain.  From the test modbus dialog i have no problem reading my inputs. But when im trying to access them via the brain i get no response. You can see my settings in the screenshot below. Is there anything im doing wrong?

Cheers
Jan Rune
Re: Discrete input/Brains
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
I cant seem to find any solution to my problem. I have no problems with outputs, i just cant get any incoming data communicating with my brain. I have the same issues with input holding register when trying to read some pots.

Is there possible there is any brain bugs in 3.042.20? I might try to install the newest version of mach3 to see if that helps, but that is something i really dont wanna do.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Hello Jan:

It looks like some of the parameters in your brain input box may be incorrect.

I don't have access to my machine at this time. Look at the brain videos Art has done, and write down some notes.

The different boxes relating to the correct format in the brain are not really clear or intuitive.

The wording in the "Device" column is for information only, the numbers appearing in that label have no bearing.

Also, in the modbus test box, you have "Format" Hex , and a decimal value in the test box area. Just a guess here. However, you did get an input showing in the test box, so the modbus info is getting read into Mach. It is the brain that outputs the data into the program, so you are halfway there.

I am no expert in brains, but remember when setting up my modbus, it took a lot of fiddling and trying different numbers in the brain entry boxes before I got it working correctly.

It is not an issue with a bug in Mach3. It is just one of those tricky things that need working out ;) One little wrong number in the wrong box, and nothing works!!

Sorry to not have more helpful information. I am away (in another state this next two weeks) from my machine, otherwise I could do a point by point set-up for a brain input from my own working system. I have (3) potentiometers, 13 pushbuttons, and a keypad all going through my modbus. Once it is working, one tends to forget about it. It just grinds away in the background, like a good liitle slave. :)

If you work with just one modbus input, and one brain until it works, then you can move to the next. You may have modbus interacting if the numbers are not right. They are using the same address. Just turn the enable off on one.

I do remember, the potentiometers all had increasing address's.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
Thanks! I figured it out. There seems to have been an issue with the macropump. When i disabled it, my brain inputs work as expected.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
Greetings Jan:

I did find a screen capture copy of my modbus config, so can offer some further info if needed.
Always nice when things work. :)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 04:58:14 AM »
Im starting to get grip on how the brains are working now. But thanks anyway :)