Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:14:25 PM

Author Topic: Opinions For Spindle HP  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions For Spindle HP
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
No schematic as all thats in it is two quad driver chips for 4 axis worth of differential step and direction outputs. The line drivers I use are SN75172.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »
Perfect I can figure it out from there. I knew that degree in Electronics would come in handy some day. ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
Ha ha well you should manage just fine :D
Hood
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »
So I went ahead and picked up the DSD-020-SE, Active shunt and a 4050 motor. Got good deals on them all and hope they all work out. The project may take a while however as I need to convert to a Smoothstepper from my current PP setup. Been wanting to do that anyway and will need it now for sure. I've blown my budget for a while here however so that will have to wait. If anyone has one they want to let go cheap I'm all ears. Should give me time to figure out mounting, gearing and the software for the driver anyway. Thanks again for the help.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 04:16:11 AM »
You can still use the parallel port until you can afford a SS, in fact it may be wise to wait as there is a new version of the SS that should be out soon, it will be an Ethernet version.

Ok back to using the parallel port, you can use electronic gearing in the drives, that way one pulse from Mach is multiplied by the amount you have set and this will get you the Velocities you require. The drawback is the resolution is decreased and if set too high the motion may be coggy at very low revs. Its not something I like to do but I did use it on the lathe at 2:1 before the SS came out.
Hood
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
Funny you bring it up. I decided last night that I'm going to play with the PP first to get the most performance I can out of it and to try the gearing you mentioned. I happened across that feature while reading the drive manual. It will at least let me get the project up and going sooner.

I like the idea of an Ethernet based controller there seems to be a big push for that in the market that Smoothstepper caters to. Does anyone know the status of the project? 
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
Funny you bring it up. I decided last night that I'm going to play with the PP first to get the most performance I can out of it and to try the gearing you mentioned. I happened across that feature while reading the drive manual. It will at least let me get the project up and going sooner.

I like the idea of an Ethernet based controller there seems to be a big push for that in the market that Smoothstepper caters to. Does anyone know the status of the project? 

I know, but I'm not allowed to say....  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »

I know, but I'm not allowed to say....  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.

Ahh come on now no secrets. :)
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
So I just went out and played with my clocking on the mill. The P4 3GHZ motherboard will only give me 45Khz without freezing during start up. I could upgrade it but that seems like more money and work then going to the SS and being done with the issue.

For now I'll use what I have to test the setup. Assuming all the Ebay second hand stuff works then I'll invest in the SS. I also have to fab in the new motor, gears and belts, ect. Just more money that will have to wait on for now.

So does anyone want to figure out what RPM I can get on a 4050 at a 45Khz pulse rate?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 03:27:27 AM »
The Kernel wont limit the RPM if you use electronic gearing in the drive and with it being a spindle electronic gearing wont really affect things as it would an axis as you will be unlikely to be rotating at very low speeds where cogging would be evident.

You may however not get quite the max RPM out of the motor with it being on an 020 drive so shoot for 3500 rpm and hope for the full 4000 :)

4000rpm x 8000 pulses per rev = 32,000,000 pulses per min divided by 60 = 5,333,333 pulses per second
5,333,333 / 45,000 = 11.85 so a gearing of 1:12 in the drive would allow you full speed if you can get it.
Hood