Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:27:12 AM

Author Topic: Mach3/Taig/micromill2000HD setup help  (Read 5968 times)

Mach3/Taig/micromill2000HD setup help
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Hi all,

Bought this setup some time ago and never had the time to setup. I have spent the last several nights going through relevant posts that I could find. Here is my problem: X and Y steppers will activate in hold position but will not jog. I have tried adjusting the steps up and down as well as adjusting the acceleration and velocity. Best return on this was minute twitter of the axis, but no jog. I have reloaded Mach3 and rebooted, I have installed the correct xml file. I am running out of options and thinking that it is most likely something small that I am overlooking. any help would be appreciated.
Re: Mach3/Taig/micromill2000HD setup help
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
This can be quite obvious, but do you have jog enable? Does the DRO change when you try to jog?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Yes, Jog is enabled and the DRO changes with the jog key, just no movement of axis..
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
I would try to follow if the steps are being delivered to your drive. You can do this using a multimeter. If you send a fast stream of steps (basically if you jog fast) you should be able to see the voltage changing (you will see a medium voltage) in the port pin that you assigned in "ports and pins". If the pins are comming of the parallel port them you must check the hardware after it, if not, it can be Mach configuration or the parallel port hardware.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
Hi,

Does the Taig Controller you have, include the step/dir to phase converter? The original Taig controller need a phase drive signal. From memory, Mach3 has as a setting to produce this.

The alternative is to use a board like the TurboTaig to do the conversion.

http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=16

Cheers,

Peter
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
I have a several year-old Taig mill that I have been very pleased with.   Since I don't know what kind of controller you have I cannot say for sure what you need to do.  If the motors are "holding," (I am thinking you mean they will not turn manually) when the power is on you have a signal or pin problem.

If you want to send me an off-line message I will be glad to discuss what you are doing and see if we can figure out what is wrong.

Bob@BobsShop 
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »
Peter,

I am unsure of whether my controller has the converter you are asking about... My gut says no. I bought the machine in 2006 and it has taken till now for me to be able to attempt to do anything withit. I purchased it second hand so no documentation came with it.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
Possibly you can take a picture of the back of the control box? That should give a good hint of which one it is.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
Having some difficulties getting pics to post... Hopefully there won't be 10 posts with the pic. ;D