Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:56:59 AM

Author Topic: How do I clear a fixture?  (Read 7885 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: How do I clear a fixture?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
THAT is why you use the LH lower extents for 0,0 (;-) It is not over the part.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
What do most people do?
I for one will always look at the gcode at the beginning and end of the program to confirm the tool pathing is correct.
Don't care what program generated the code or how I may have input the settings.

Under Clearance Plane in Cambam if default is chosen as a setting, then it is to a safe Z location before a rapid to a new location.
That takes care of a collision. But as noted leaves you with a slow movement for some distance.
In some  programs you can also define at what postion of the Z travel the cutting will start to occur. So you would have a rapid to some point
 above the surface and and then a different feedrate there after into the material. If not available, one could add it to the code if the CAM dosen't provide for it.
A manual code entry would seem very reasonable if the code is used manny times as in your case.

You can set the start point in CamBam to say 1" above the face and have the clearance plane set at say .001 such that you will get a rapid (G0)
to a distance above the surface and then the slower feed rate will be applied for the plunge in. FWIW

Where i start or end depends on what i plan on doing afterwards, but most work done is a one of a kind. Sometimes it has to be done more than one time
and having the machine return to a chosen position is preffered. That position may be above or to the side of the material.

All is not just plug and play when one wants  to do something specific.

RICH
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
Ok, I just finished a session cutting some parts. Firstly, all is well if I don't click the Goto Z button. The gcode is doing the right thing and the clearance Z is working fine. I zero on the center of the part because it is easy to position my fixture and zero at its center. I guess I had just developed the habit of clicking Goto Z to position the tool. Most of my fixtures hold the parts from the edge and 0,0,0 is at a corner of a sheet of stock or centered along one edge. In those cases, I just clicked Goto Z and I was ready to cut. This is a new fixture that clamps from the center and I was just clicking Goto Z like I always do/did.

But, I am still concerned that the button is so prevalent that I might accidentally click it. How should I deal with that?

cheers and thanks for all the info.

Michael

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
Edit the screen and remove the button.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »
Thanks ger21. I haven't messed around with editing screens so maybe that's what I'll do.

In thinking about it some more, I think I default to using Goto Z because I do not have home switches and that seemed like a reasonable place to go. Maybe I should create a replacement button that takes me to a safe Z and x=y=0.

Thanks all,
Michael
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
put a small peice of post it note over the button on the monitor when your doing the parts that wont allow the move. 
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
As silly as that sounds, that is basically what I did. I'm weaning myself go the habit to press that button. So far, 100s of parts and no accidental tool breakage.

cheers,
Michael