Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:08 PM

Author Topic: Shoptask 1720 gold.  (Read 46743 times)

Re: Shoptask 1720 gold.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
Ah! Pete, the sweet smell of success. Unfortunately the pics are really small. But you can see the twin poster head design, and if you look carefully at the top of them you can make out the VFD's. Other details...well, I'll have to try again sometime. Enjoy them with a magnifying glass. I'm learning, I'm learning.
turboman.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
Unfortunately the pics are really small.
They are fine, what you are seeing is the thumbnails, click on the pics and they will open full size :)

Hood
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Looks pretty cool TURBOMAN... Those are some serious shafts in there. I know that Shoptask now uses a tri mount design called a bridgelift or something like that. The one I build was similar to yours only it used four slightly smaller shafts.  The best thing is that the millhead could not get down closer to the table and was at least a little more rigid.  Looks like yours should do the same. enjoy it man, it looks pretty cool , peace

Pete
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Hi again Pete, and Hood, welcome.
    I machine everything, ceramics, steel, nickel, you name it. I needed stiffness! The uprights are hollow, of course. But there is no vibration in this puppy! I can also get the head down at least as far as Shoptasks bridge. Now if only I could find someone who has used Mach3 with the Shoptask (TMG) CNC system!
turboman
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Isn't the shoptask system just a Gecko stepper based system?   I thought it was but it has been a LONG time since I messed with it. That is really one of the best features of the shoptask machine in that it pretty much comes ready to install steppers on it.  Glad to hear you were able to get the machine stiffened up, it would go a long way to making it a more usable machine. The lathe with CNC control would be pretty capable that is for sure. Also making a Gang tooling setup for the lathe using the mill table would be a no brainer.  I never got as far as CNCing my Shoptask because I moved on to seperate mill and lathe when I got a tax return one year but it really would make for an interesting machine for light duty parts.  Your machine appears ready to do some work with all your mods.  I think that bridgemill with the bracket that goes across to the tailstock end of the bed would be probably the best setup with three points of structure and then sandwiching the millhead between the plates like that.  I would think you could even add that to your setup pretty easily.  Anyways, Nice work man and good luck with that heavily modded shoptask. Peace

Pete
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
Pete, my friend,
   No, my system has never known the lizard! :D My system is the oldest and shortest lived CNC system Shoptask ever used. In fact, the original Bridgemill they sold me didn't even last the year before they went to the 4 poster and the tail end support. Just my luck I got the prototype (and it was garbage!). As for putting an end support on mine, no need. I get more distortion from the table than I do from my head!
turboman
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
Hey man the lizards are kinda cute ya know...haha good luck with your mill...peace

Pete

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »
Hey Turboman,
               I'm new to this site.I found this post by searching Shoptask .I know this is an old post and I don't know if you are still around but I thought I would give it a try.   I have a shopmaster 2000 and I want to increase It's lift and stiffness. I don't  even have the quadralift and I don't want one. I always thought the design was bad, but maybe better than the single 80mm post  I have. The structure of your twin post design I like a lot. I want to go with even larger posts, 5"and heaver base, but I had a couple of questions, if you don't mind sharing. How did you make stops/locks for your unit? I guess I just want more specs. and pics so I don't have to start from scratch. If you don't want to share, I understand. Thanks either way
Bruce
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi Bruce,
   I wouldn't bother going with more diameter than the 3 inches I have. I used 3/8 inch wall pipe and carefully machined it, polished it. This head design doesn't move at all. It has several times the rigidity of the table! The stops and locks I used were actually purpose machined shaft clamps. It makes tightening and loosening a bit more work but they function great. They're fastened directly to the head mounting rig I made. To build my rig you need a milling machine and a good size lathe...besides the shoptask you're modifying. So I hope you have access to a shop. You also need to have welding equipment to permenentaly control unwanted movement. And to be very picky, a surface grinder. I was picky, have access to all of this and my rig has a spindle perpendicularity of .0004 at full extention. This is a lot of work. Good luck and take your time! It's worth it if you have the patience.
Turboman.

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »

I DID have a SHoptask 17-20 XMTC gold series. I actually built my own quadra lift for it and then sold it soon thereafter. It was a halfway decent machine for what it is. Probably the best of the 3 in 1 variety.    I actually painted my Shoptask a green color and have always wondered what happened to it. It was a lot of fun learning to use it.  If I remember correctly I even put dual motors DC on it.
Pete
Hi Pete,
Was this your machine?  I'm not sure of the model, but the quadra lift and DC motors are there.
...and its green.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:48:26 AM by Bloy »