Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:42:55 PM

Author Topic: Shoptask 1720 gold.  (Read 46908 times)

Shoptask 1720 gold.
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
Hi folks,
   I'm new to this forum, but glad I found it. I've got a Shoptask 1720 that I bought new with CNC in 2000. I had so many problems with it I completely redesigned the machine. But that's another story. I recently bought the 4th axis for the CNC system from the original maker, TMG in Texas. Problem is that the operating software is practically undocumented. You have to know how the system works before you can use it. Don't like it anyway. I'm hoping that Mach3 will be easier to use. I'd like to know if there are others out there who have been where I am, getting ready to use Mach3 on an existing TMG controller. Any advice, warnings?
Turboman
PS: I didn't pick the name to sound cool. I actually work with turbo-equipment. :)
Re: Shoptask 1720 gold.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
Does that mean you are not really Turboman?  I was all excited that one of my favorite Christmas movie heroes was a REAL PERSON!!   

I cannot help you with your problem as I do not have one of those controllers. I DID have a SHoptask 17-20 XMTC gold series. I actually built my own quadra lift for it and then sold it soon thereafter. It was a halfway decent machine for what it is. Probably the best of the 3 in 1 variety.  It is nowhere near as rigid and capable a mill as my RF45 CNC is.  The lath was actually halfway decent and if you are CNC you can make a Gang tooling setup on the table easily.  I just bought a nice Hardinge DV59 precision lathe that  I am gonna convert to CNC.   I actually painted my Shoptask a green color and have always wondered what happened to it. It was a lot of fun learning to use it.  If I remember correctly I even put dual motors DC on it. Good luck with your machine and peace

Pete

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
   Dang! There's a real turboman? Sorry for stealing the name! But yes, I really do work with turbo-machinery.
   Personally I had a great deal of trouble with my Shoptask. So bad I tried to return it and found their guarantee was no good. The machine wouldn't hold .010 of an inch, let alone .001. And that was after doing a very careful and complete set up. Bad castings, Bad machining. Roughing cut marks were still visible on the ways when it was delivered!!! I had to tear it apart and re-machine the entire way system. Garbage! Anyway, I replaced the early 4 post system they sold me (one post at each corner of the machine) with a massive two post system I made myself at work and mounted it on top the the gear head. I don't need that outrigger support they have now. Mine is more like a light Bridgeport. I have 1 hp. VFD's  both axises, turcite on all of the ways and can hold to .0005 in any axis with little trouble. This machine is no longer a Shoptask! Doesn't even look like one anymore. I even destroyed the name plate! I now get parts from Smithy. I won't go back to Shoptask.
Turboman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »
Okay Turboman.... Ya know what they say on the net right.... It is all BS without PICTURES!!!  I wanna see that bridgeport capable Shoptask man. I never said the machine was perfect but you sound like you have a real lemon that you turned into lemonade!!  Sorry to hear you had such bad luck.  I made that four post quadralift simply so I did not have to raise my milling work ten inches up from the table. The damn smithy is the same way. I really do not understand why they cannot make a GOOD 3 in 1 machine.  If someone would make a good one you could CNC it and have both a CNC lathe and a CNC mill.  They just buy the chinese crap and slap a label on it and sell em.  Mine was actually a decent lathe, not great, decent.  I enjoyed the large swing and good center height but other than that it was the same typical chinese quality.  I did a lot of work on mine to get it to cut okay and the mill was terrible before the lift. After it was not exactly great but at least you could use it.  The machine is just a hobbyists machine after all and fortunately there are much better options out there now for the money.  You are not the first person I have heard that would like to drive over to shoptask and open up a can of whoopass....  I suppose I was lucky.

So anyways, TURBOMAN, where are the pics?!!  peace

BTW here's the REAL Turboman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bVGr3UWm4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2bbftyDto&feature=related

Pete
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:05:01 PM by Matospeter »
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
 Ohhh! You're going to make me blush!! I'm at work right now so I don't have the pics, but I'll try get them on ASAP. Gee! Maybe I should market these things? Only problem is that it would be expensive. But man, does it work great...power lift and all.
turboman.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
Well Turbodude,  I will withhold comments until I see this bad boy.... Cheers!!  Peace

Pete

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
Matospeter, are you there. I can't figure out how to add a picture to my post? Never tried before.
turboman
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »
Sorry Pete, just can't seem to figure it out. Tried the Additional Options route, didn't work. Do you know how to attach Pics??? I should be back from a trip on Tuesday. Pics are ready and waiting.
turboman
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
Turboman...

All you have to do is hit additional options tab and then browse your computer for the files and then hit attach. Pretty simple really. You do not have to post them tho, I was just bustin' chops....haha  Unless you really want to actually. Peace

Pete

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Hi Pete,
I don't mind posting. I mind not being able too! Tried the additional options tab and it didn't work. I now suspect it was because the pictures were at max resolution...too dang big. So I'm trying again at the smallest resolution the software I have will do. Let's see what happens this time.
turboman