Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:41:35 AM

Author Topic: Breaking a long routing job into smaller jobs  (Read 4446 times)

Breaking a long routing job into smaller jobs
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
When 3D routing, some routing jobs are too long for me to run in one day at my shop. How can I break these down into smaller jobs that can be run in shorter time frames so I can go to lunch or go home for the day w/o leaving the machine running?

Thanks!
Chris

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking a long routing job into smaller jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
Does your software emulate and give a rough time for the different paths? You could always break them up into shorter tasks.
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
This has been discussed many times a serach should results in a LOT of ideas.

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Does your software emulate and give a rough time for the different paths? You could always break them up into shorter tasks.
RICH

I use Vectric software. I can send 1 tool's worth of job at once, but that can still be a really long route.

I searched the forum, but didn't come up with anything. I guess I used the wrong search terms.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
First thing you have to do is be able to return to a known position on the machine once it has been turned off. You can do this several ways.

You can setup Accurate home switches that allow you to automatically ref home and that would setup the base corrds on the machine the SAME everytime. That way you can return to the exact position on the table when you restart.

You can Manually reference back to a known part of the table or material on startup each time. That provides an exact restart position as well.

NOW you can just write down where you left off (line Number) and then use run from here to return back to that line and restart the cutting.

In a nutshell, (;-) TP

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
I don't find anything with a search. I'm guessing I don't know what to use for a search term.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
Try searching for RUN FROM HERE.

(;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
First thing you have to do is be able to return to a known position on the machine once it has been turned off. You can do this several ways.

You can setup Accurate home switches that allow you to automatically ref home and that would setup the base corrds on the machine the SAME everytime. That way you can return to the exact position on the table when you restart.

You can Manually reference back to a known part of the table or material on startup each time. That provides an exact restart position as well.

NOW you can just write down where you left off (line Number) and then use run from here to return back to that line and restart the cutting.

In a nutshell, (;-) TP

The machine homes to within .002 every time, so that part I have down. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »
Also make a hole at a know position, handy for checking if your in the right place.

Steve