Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:46:55 AM

Author Topic: older precix router and gcode. Possible or not  (Read 5327 times)

older precix router and gcode. Possible or not
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
hope i have this in the right category
i have an older (1998) precix router and  i want to be able to use mach3, is this possible. i am told that the controller doesn't read gcode but hpgl instead? what is the difference?
i will be willing to change the drivers in the controller if some one could point me into the right direction. im not sure what ones i will need. will this work or is there something else i will need to do?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: older precix router and gcode. Possible or not
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Usually, machines that use HPGL are driven by a serial connection and Mach3, essentially, uses the computer's parallel port for it's machine communication.

Obviously it depends on many factors but, basically, if your Precix is driven by Bipolar Stepper Motors then it is pretty easy and straightforward to replace the existing drive electronics with something like the Gecko 540 controller http://www.geckodrive.com/g540-p-39.html
There is a bit of skill involved but it is not rocket science.
If the Precix uses servos instead of steppers then it is still doable but slightly more complicated and costly.

There are many, here on the forum, who have undertaken a similar task, albeit a different machine, who will be willing to help with any problems you encounter if you decide to take on the task.

Good fortune.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
thank you for the greeting

I am usually a do it your self kind of person and I love learning how things work. While i have been researching building a cnc for quite some time there are some gaps in my total understand and i am hoping to be able to learn lots from everyone willing to teach me.  I guess my starting point is to find out the exact details of the steppers i have and the power supply i already have in my controller. it seems as though i only remember seeing 1.8 degree on the side of it the stepper, is there something specific i should be looking for, maybe stepper plug type . I will remove the covers and look for more info. if that turns up nothing i will try contacting precix. I'm open for suggestions if there is any thing else i may need to look for.
thank you

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
If the steppers have 4 or 6 wires then they are capable of bipolar operation. If the steppers have 5 wires then they will be unipolar and slightly more difficult to use. Perhaps this the starting point for things to check. (nb. 1.8 degrees is good).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
i looked  at the stepper motors but its hard to see the wires they take off into the frame. it looks like there is eight of them but there is a round plug there that has 4 pins in it that goes to the controller. not sure were the other wires go. will have to have a closer look.  on the side of the stepper it says    3A/6A 180 degrees  LA34BJS-P300R
Eastern Air Devices   Date code 9734.   i went to their site but couldn't find anything that matches exactly.  Any interpretation would be appreciated.
thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:23:51 AM »
Steppers sound fine (the 8 wires would either be connected as 2 parallel sets of windings with 6 Amp capacity or two series connected sets of windings with 3 Amp capacity).
The Gecko drive controller is certainly not the cheapest available for your project but is is perhaps the easiest option which is well documented and has excellent after sales and back-up etc.

Your existing power supply should be Ok so the hardest part would probably be re-wiring the stepper motor plug connections to suit the new controller.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE