Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:20:03 PM

Author Topic: what does "save fixture" mean?  (Read 5242 times)

what does "save fixture" mean?
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:23 AM »
Hi Folks,

newbie plugin along here
this concerns a home built router
sometimes I see strange behavior from Mach which I'm sure is due to my own lack of understanding but is seems to be trying to trace paths of code I've run earlier.
today I was trying to cut a part for a clock (the pallet) and Mach kept trying to go in circles

I've noticed that sometimes when I exit the program it asks me if I want to "save the fixture", what does that mean?
am I saving something that is going to influence future runs?
if so, how do I erase this information?

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: what does "save fixture" mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:02:19 AM »
Save fixture will save the offset yo have set up. For example you jog the machine where you want zero to be and zero the axis, that is you setting up an offset. It is usually G54 offset as that is ddefault but you can have up to 254 offsets stored and you can access them by calling from G Code or MDI line.
Unless however you have a repeatable way of homing the machine on startup then saving offsets are not likely to be much use to you.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
hmm

well that doesn't sound like it's my problem but thanks for the explanation
still have some glitch going on here, will work on it this evening when I get time

Thanks
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:16 AM »
You would really need to explain a bit more clearly what is happening regards the circles. It could be that some code uses Incremental IJ mode and the other uses Absolute. Code should really set that in its first few lines but often it doesnt, G90.1 sets Abs and G91.1 set Inc IJ mode.
Hood.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
when I get home tonight I'll post the g-code file and some screen shots showing the Mach3 display

Dave