Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:42:53 AM

Author Topic: How to use my CNC mill as a vertical lathe  (Read 5986 times)

How to use my CNC mill as a vertical lathe
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:34:55 AM »
Hi everybody,
please someone can explain to me, step by step, for turning on my CNC mill (Syil X6 linear plus+mach3).
I saw the Tormach's movie about this and it appears all easy. ??? Exist a tutorial?
Many thanks

Pat64 - Italy

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: How to use my CNC mill as a vertical lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
Afraid you are on your own with that one. You will have to open a new session of mach turn then configure it for your machine. Then you can select what session you want to run mill or turn.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »
I've done it a couple of time on my Haas mill.

What I did was to draw the part, quote each location where the tool must go and hand program the machine.

But I had only one tool in the vise.

If you need more tools, each one can have is own work offser, G54 for first tool, G55 for secong tool and so on.

Hope this help.

Jeff
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »
 :) thank guys, I'am trying to study, at first, Mach3turn. In the wizard i have already found my example : the external sphere. Then I must understand which parameters to input in Motor Tuning...maybe the same of the Mach3mill profile? Only in case of success I will post my work here ;)

Regards
Pat64 - Italy
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
Hi, join the club, I built a cheapo cnc router and added a fourth axis "A axis" and have been trying to find the same answer for some time now, that this makes me very interested, I have tried drawing the normal X Y profile in cambam and setting the stock thickness to the intended radius the Y axis is the intended diameter and offset by the radius and creating Gcode to profile the design the full thickness of the stock with fairly deep increment cuts. I loaded the Gcode into Mach3, set the zero for X axis start (0), Set the centre of the spindle for Y axis start (0) and set Z zero on the surface of the stock. If you are turning from square stock you must remember to set the Z clearance level higher than half the diagonal measurement of the stock. I used a standard half inch worktop cutter and manages to do a reasonable sweeping profile which polished up nicely with the old glass paper.
I must point out I am a complete novice and pensioner playing at this as a hobby but try this on timber as I know it works

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Have you looked into using MachStdMill by Calypso Ventures. The recent release provides for using the mill to do lathe work.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
Yes I have tried but I can't get to grips with it somehow

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
Can't be of much  help on MSM other than noting to have a look at the  videos and manuals. You may want to join  the sites forum and
post basic questions to get you going with it's use.
RICH