Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:23:10 AM

Author Topic: tool not clearing top  (Read 8609 times)

Re: tool not clearing top
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Using the possible theory that the rotary table has a physical limitation as to how many times it can rotate, I have backed it up 2000 degrees, reset everything to zero and am now running again to see what happens.  I found that by rotating back 2000 degrees, I could rotate forward 2000 degrees before it gets to that spot it won't go any more, so maybe that will solve this new problem.  I do know that after ever failed test cut, the machine did rotate, so it is possible that after many attempts it has rotated forward to the point of no more forward if that's a physical possibility.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
9999 is only 27.775 revs between min and max softlimits , you may have the soft limits enabled on rotational axis, its  General Config page. Remember softlimits are Machine Coords so it may look like you are no where near them but you are.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
yes, i had seen that setting and it is not checked. So there should be no soft limits on rotation. And in the limits area it is 99999, 5 digits. A mechanical limit inside the rotary table is all i can think of that would stop it. It will make many rotations before it finally won't continue.  The degrees of rotation are accurate, in settings I can ask for 100 degrees and it hit is dead on. So that is good.  I had to start over after messing with the rotary table stopping so I do not still know if layer two will be botched or not.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
IF you can make more than a 360 deg move then there is no hard limit on A. It would not make any sense to have one. The theoreticle limit is like a zillion  revs in each direction. WAY UP THERE.  So I dought you have hit it.

One thing to remember when working with the A axis is SOMETIME you are going to have to unwind all the degrees you called for. Either by runing the code or refhome the axis to reset the machine A0.

In the old days you only had 0-360 degrees in a rotation and you had to account for that in code. Today you have it better with Mach3 letting you wind up the axis.

HOW do you have Mach setup for on the A is it 360deg or continous roll over????

Set up your machine then do a test. Refhome the A axis so the machine dro vlaue is Zero and then zero the work dro. Now the A is at machine home and work home.

Now from the MDI try a Gcode like G00 A 3600

The A should rapid around 10 times in the positive direction.

BUT even then if you are doing carving on a tube you should never go beyond 360 anyway(;-) (oldschool)

I think yo have something going on in your MachinePC that is causing MACH3 to stall or hang up from time to time.

Easy enought to test post a copy of the Cut file and we can test the Gcode.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
Ok, i will try that, thanks. I did post copy of the file, check on page 1 you will find it.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
You could be right about the PC too. I had it built for this purpose. Last several times when I was done in shop, i hit windows button to shut down and the computer goes into some hardware error, or hardware set up error. I should have that looked at, it's brand new, but perhaps some setting got messed up. I just figured because the CNC is hooked up to the computer it is what's causing the thing to flip out. I have had Mach 3 crash a few times with cnc running but not moving and I couldn't even exit the program, had to do a hard shut down on the PC.  But..only had that happen a couple times, not all the time.
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
None of the 3 rotational option boxes are checked in the gen config. so limits is off, so is continuous roll over.  I dare not mess with any setting right now while it's running. Machine is 80% done on level one and part is absolutely perfect so far. Hopefully when it starts level two it won't do what it has been doing that last several times that started this post. I'll know within an hour. It's running real slow because the bit is a little smaller than before. but, the smaller bit will do the details better. This dragon is really fine with tiny pockets.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
What version of Mach are you running. I just tested some Gcode in V.049 and there are problems with ABS(G90) Gcode on the A axis.

(;-) TP
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
What is the problem with it, I do not know what ABS G90 is?  Is it the rotation center not lying on the X or Y axis?  In visual mill, it gives me this error, but according the the support staff it is correct with this error.  It is because the top of the rod is at Z0 and the center is at X0 and Z-radius.  So in the posted code the center of the rod is x0 and Z -0.3125  , the software asks if this is ok will the machine handle these conditions and I say yes, because the people at visual mill say it is correct and runs perfect on their equipment. When I look at the machining conditions in the software that created the code, it shows the true center with a post and revolves correctly.  I will go look at what Mach version I am running.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
I can not see how to tell what version I have. I only know I downloaded it from Artsoft 3 months ago and I have the registration codes for it from Syil America.  I am using windows 7.

I just went and checked machine and it's all messed up different now. On this test run, The change was to reduce acceleration of Z. The result was that the error that kept happening before no longer happened. Now it's a completely new problem. It looks like the machine did not start layer 2 in the exact same spot as layer one. It is maybe a 1/16th inch off, no way to be exactly certain just how off. Of course, I checked the rod and it is solid in the chuck and can't be moved, and the bit is still solid. It is cutting layer two just slightly over from layer 1 now, so the piece is destroyed. uggh!!!

This is what it is supposed to look like. How it ever came off the machine like this is beyond me, cause I can't repeat it for the life of me!

This is what that one good one I made looks like when cast in resin.