Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:49:13 AM

Author Topic: HELP !! Been running Mach for 3 years, now it's locking up !!  (Read 4526 times)

HELP !! Been running Mach for 3 years, now it's locking up !!
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
I'm in panic mode here, because I have no idea how to fix this issue !! ???

Mach fires up normally when I click on the icon. Once it's running, everything seems to be working fine until I try to "Load a G-code".
As soon as I try to load a file, I get an hour glass and everything freezes up. The only way to get out is with ctrl-alt-del . After I shut down Mach and go back to my desktop, re clicking the Mach icon will not fire it up again. I then have to reboot my computer to be able to start Mach again, but the same problem persists. I have tried to do a system restore all the way back to August (I know Mach was working then ) but I still cannot load any g-code files. Thanks for any help !!
Dan

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: HELP !! Been running Mach for 3 years, now it's locking up !!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
The reason you cannot just restart is the MACH driver is still loaded and will not allow a second session to start.

THe hour glass may indicate that MACH cannot FIND the Gcode to load. Maybe a hardrive failing or ??????

What version of windows??

Have you changed ANYTHING on the computer lately??

Just some thoughts, (;-)TP
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:37:02 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »
I'm running Windowx XP SP2.
I have not changed anything on the computer !! The affected computer is mounted to my CNC mill. I have a LAN setup here at home and all my CAD/CAM is done on a separate computer. I have recently added another computer to the LAN (CNC Plasma Table), but never changed anything to the mill computer.
I'm thinking of reloading Windows in the morning because I don't know what else to try.
I usually get a drop down screen to chose where to get the g-code from, but I don't even make it there. As soon as I hit "Load G-code", everything goes dead.
I'm OK with computers, but don't want to go through the nightmare again of having to reinput all the parameters in Mach if I have to get another computer. I made a copy of the .XLS file, so if I do infact get another computer, is it just a matter of reinstalling Mach and then load the .XLS file ?
Thank-you.

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
Have you tried reinstalling mach?
I once had a similar problem and a reinstall cured it.
Al
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:22:51 AM by alenz »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »
Try loading the Gcode from the computer NOT the network. I think you are having network issues and Mach cannot find the files. 

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
Try loading the Gcode from the computer NOT the network. I think you are having network issues and Mach cannot find the files. 

(;-) TP

I couldn't even get that far !! As soon I hit "load g-code", nothing else would work.

Here's an update though !! Last night, I restarted Mach, and tried to load a g-code and sure enough the hour glass came on and Mach locked up. I left it like overnight, and when I checked it this morning, the g-code was loaded ! WTF !! I'm stumped.
I closed Mach then restarted, and now I'm able to load a g-code.
This is great, but I would sure like to know what happened.

Have you tried reinstalling mach?
I once had a similar problem and a reinstall cured it.
Al

If I copy the .XML file (I named it wrong in my last post)is it just a matter of pasting it in the new Mach install ? I realize that I will lose my tool offsets, but I don't want to lose all my pinouts .
Thanks Guys !!
Dan

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
The last place it checked for the files was probably no longer available as it always GOES to the last directory it used(windows thing ) So IF it searches and can no longer find the dir it starts a sreach over all the possible combintions in the putor and network.

NOw that is has reset the dir it uses it works fine.

Probably a network thing. I see something simalar when I use a thumbdrive to load files and then remove the drive. Mach still goes looking for that drive next time I load a file.

You can reset the location on the XML file next time that happens.

(;-) TP

(;-)TP
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Thanks !!
Everything seems to be working now.
I guess it wasn't really locked up then, it was probably searching for the files.
Dan