Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:42:07 PM

Author Topic: Mach3/DB25/BoB issue?  (Read 4681 times)

Mach3/DB25/BoB issue?
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
This is probably a "no-brainer", but I figured I'd toss it out here and see what I got.

I bought a "new computer HP Compaq DC7600 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB DDR2, 40GB HDD, Combo, Windows XP Pro at TigerDirect.com for my CNC router that I built 9 years ago.

It was running on some very old dinosaur running Windos98 with Master5 software. Yup. Master5. The CNC and PC have been in storage for several years now. I've gotten the urge to seriously start playing with it more.

Anyways, I took the opportunity to upgrade to Mach3 (demo version for now). I went to the Config dialog in Mach and confirmed that the printer address matched what was in the Resource window of the Printer Port dialog (in Window Hardware manager). The resource lists it as 0378-037F. Mach 3 keeps reverting back to 0x378. I assume this is correct?

I configured all 6 pins. There is one step and one direction pin for each motor. I do not have any limit switches or E-Stop switches setup yet. I will get to those later.

My breakout board is a simple PCB, no opto-isolators or anything. I am using pins 2,3,4,5,6,7. X,Y,Z respectively.

So, pins are configured, I've set the steps per inch to 10,000, since that I what I ran on Master5. I press the arrow key to job the machine, and .....nothing happens. It does not jerk, hum, or anything. It just sits there. Yes, there is power to the motors.

I borrowed a rather nice multi-meter from a co-worker, sad part is, I have very little clue where to start and what to look for (also, I've only used a multimeter a couple times in my life, and not for anything much really)

At any rate, I grounded out one lead and inserted the probe tip into each pin of my printer port and got these readings: Pins 1-4 are at 4.51 volts and .25 amps. Pins 5-12 are at 3.40 volts and 0 to .01 amps. Pin 13 is 4.51 and .026 amps. Pins 14-21 are 0 and 0. Pin 22 is .01 and 0. Pins 23-25 are 4.51v and .26A.
None of these values change when I depress a key to "jog" the machine. If I unplug and reconnect the printer cable, my motor will jerk one or two steps it appears/sounds.

If I am in Hardware manager and I uninstall the printer port, the 4.5 volts goes up to 4.85. When i click on "Scan for hardware changes" it drops back down to 4.51volt.

So, I am lost as to where to start and what to do. Any ideas on how to help me out? I am an almost total electrical noob. But, I'm able to comprehend ideas and whatnot...
If it ain't broke, modify it!
Re: Mach3/DB25/BoB issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
after reading a bit. I think I numbered the pins wrong. I was going from left to right (looking at the back of the PC) Mach3 documentation shows that top right is Pin 1. So, I guess that changes things a bit.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:05:30 AM »
So, it appears that Mach3 is not talking with the printer port. the computer recognizes it, but there doesn't seem to be any communication between the 2. What to do, what to do......

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Can you attach your xml please.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
It lives! woot!
I tied a few things, then I went into the BIOS and changed the LPT port from EEP/ECP to Bi-directional. wadda ya know.

still need me to attach my xml?