Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:19:25 AM

Author Topic: Motor Problem  (Read 9809 times)

Offline WB1

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Motor Problem
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:50:47 AM »
Hi everyone!!

I'm having a little trouble getting my motors to work/spin/move.... When I first received my motors/drivers/breakout board I wired them all together and while using mach 3 it all seemed to work.

12 months later I have now finally finished my mill but can't get the motors doing much.

I have been following mach 3 installation instructions but with little success. Whenever I try to jog the machine sometimes I hear the motors (high pitch noise). Other times the shaft does 'spin' but its more like its grinding; very slow and noisey and in only one direction. My limit switches and e-stops all work fine.

I have checked my wiring all seems fine. I've checked to see if I have voltages where appropriate.

Changing the velocity and acceleration slides doesn't seem to have any effect on the motor?

Any thoughts Cheers.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Motor Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
You say changing the velocity and accel settings don't do anything. Are they staying set where you moved them? Did you know you can test the accel and velocity settings with the up/down arrows keys on your keyboard prior to saving? Steps per revolution set correctly?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
I hear the motors (high pitch noise).
Other times the shaft does 'spin' but its more like its grinding; very slow and noisey and in only one direction

Make sure you have the motors wired correctly, the drive currrent set correctly to start, and that the axis is not binding.

1.post your xml file
2.provide power supply, drive, and motor info
3.describe your machine

RICH

Offline WB1

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
Hi,

Power Supply: 350W Single 24VDC Output Switching P/S.
Driver: Microstep Motor Driver Series CW230. Set (1/16) Microstep // 1.5Amps
Motor: Nema 23 4 Wire Stepper.

There doesn't seem to be any consistence with what its doing. When your in the motor tuning screen (mach 3), x-axis selected, (steps  per revolution: 2000, Step Pulse: 1us, Direction Pulse 0, regardless of what velocity and acceleration quantities, the motor some times makes the grinding noise while other times its just locked itself stiff (can't move the shaft). In fact when I turn the power on to the motors I hear the motor 'locking' itself.

I just swapped the x-axis motor around with another exact some type and the same thing happens.

Y-axis and Z-axis are also not working

The motors aren't attached to the screws btw so binding can't be the issue.

So its not the motor or the wiring (double checked) I'm thinking its something to do with breakout board or the settings in mach 3. The chances of all three drivers/motors are not working is stupid. Something to do with the BOB or software settings.

I will get the xml. file to you when I figure out how to do that! :)

Offline WB1

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »
xml. file.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:06:23 AM »
What BOB are you using?
RICH

Offline WB1

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »
Hi, I don't even know what you would call my BOB but I can tell you its Cheap and Chinese and I'm seriously regretting it.

I have been monitoring the Hi/Lo signals coming from the parallel port as I toggle the motors. The voltages I get from testing from Pin 1 to Pin 2-7 are all correct (Hi signals). But after I plug in the parallel cable into the BOB Pins 4/5 no long show a Hi signal. Pin 4/5 are the Y-axis Step and Direction signals, respectively. Its as though somewhere/somehow its shorting to GND in the BOB.

I'm starting to think I might be look at getting one of those G540 Geckodrives. Anybody got anything to say about those????

On a separate note I was thinking about putting an encoder on each axis but I don't know whats involved in wiring one up. I'm assuming you wire it through the BOB or is there some sort of driver needed for that as well???

Cheers.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:45 AM »
Good grief WB1.
How in the world do you expect someone to have a look for what is wrong with your setup with a reply like
I don't even know what you would call my BOB but I can tell you its Cheap and Chinese
???
RICH

Offline WB1

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »
OK OK your right!

But the thing is I really don't know. I have all the documentation in front of me and the best description of the BOB I can give is: DB25 Isolated CNC Breakout Board.

Ok I bought it on ebay over a year ago and it seems they are still selling it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-DB25-Breakout-Board-MACH3-KCAM4-EMC2-6-axis-New-/260734436913?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item3cb4fbc631#ht_2573wt_1413

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
I have been monitoring the Hi/Lo signals coming from the parallel port as I toggle the motors. The voltages I get from testing from Pin 1 to Pin 2-7 are all correct (Hi signals). But after I plug in the parallel cable into the BOB Pins 4/5 no long show a Hi signal. Pin 4/5 are the Y-axis Step and Direction signals, respectively. Its as though somewhere/somehow its shorting to GND in the BOB.

WB1,

Measure the voltage between any of your parallel port direction pins and pins 18-25 (GND). Jogging in one direction, for that axis, should give 0Volts and in the other direction approx 5Volts. If the max voltage you get is 3.3Volts then you may have a problem with that BoB. (Some BoB's are OK with 3.3V but many of the Chinese type need 5V for the opto isolators to work correctly).

Just a thought,

Tweakie.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:30:11 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE