Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:46:34 AM

Author Topic: Continue from same point after e-stop  (Read 6370 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Continue from same point after e-stop
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
It will scroll from the start up to the point you have selected setting modal states etc.

If you press E-Stop whilst moving you have lost position so will need to rehome ( or retouch off the part and set the DROs if you dont home)
On the lathe I tend to start the RFH at  the last tool change, on the mill I tend to start the RFH from the last point where the  Z is above the work.
When you select the line to start your RFH it will actually start from the previous line so be aware of that, your prep move will show you that though if you look at its coords.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »

You say it will scroll through the code. Will it go back to the line I selected?

What is involved in the "prep" move? What if it's already in the position I want to start from?

For example I get an erroneous limit switch triggered in the middle of a cut. So now it's stopped in between point X and Y.

Would I select point X as a restart point. Would the prep move be to go back to that point and wait for me to press "cycle start" again?

So the e-stop and the limit switch are handled differently? I thought that they were the same. Live and learn!

In my instance where I get an erroneous limit switch triggered every once in a long while, would what I said in my last post (above) hold true in that instance?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
No, Limit switch triggering whilst in motion is the same as the E-Stop in that you will almost certainly have lost position so you  need to re-home before you can continue.
Hood

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
Hi Hood

I can see why RFH will work for some but not for others. If the program is a long file with all the data spread throughout, is is often used for surface routing, then OK, it will certainly work - as long as the e-stop has not lost position.

But my programming is extremely parametric, and that makes things a whole lot more complex for restarting. For a start, it seems to foul up any repeat subroutine loops because the counters and incremented variables are wrong.

The technique i use is to make my root program just a series of subroutine calls, with each subroutine doing one operation. Then I can go back to the root program and comment out all the completed stages, so that restarting jumps straight to the errant subroutine stage. Having first correct the programming error of course!

Cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
Yes doesnt work  in these situations but your statement Restart program from the beginning. Anything else is going to foul up!  would suggest RFH would always "foul up" Where it actually works very well in most situations and I would imagine  90% plus of users dont programme parametrically.

Hood

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
Yes doesnt work  in these situations but your statement Restart program from the beginning. Anything else is going to foul up!  would suggest RFH would always "foul up" Where it actually works very well in most situations and I would imagine  90% plus of users dont programme parametrically.

Hey, I was only half-awake at the time!
But I was wrong.

Cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Ha ha, not wrong, for your situation it was correct but not for all, just wanted to clarify things as I use it all the time and have never, and I mean never had it go wrong in over 8 yrs. Most of my programming is wizard or CAM and no parametric at all.
Hood