Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:09:54 AM

Author Topic: Continue from same point after e-stop  (Read 6369 times)

Continue from same point after e-stop
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »
Hello,

Every once in a long while I get a limit switch error while cutting. Or I press the e-stop button.

What would the procedure be to continue from the point where it stopped?

1. click Reset?

Then what?

Thanks

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Continue from same point after e-stop
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
Unfortunately when you get an error or hit the e-stop button, you will lose position on the axes. If you have home switches installed, then you would rehome the machine to get back where you began.

Then, you can use "run from here" in Mach to start where you left off, but make sure you start from the line before as the run from here command can be a little tricky to get onto. Make sure you practice cutting in air above the workpiece to be sure it's going to do what you want it to do.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:55 AM »
Every once in a long while I get a limit switch error while cutting. Or I press the e-stop button.

Restart program from the beginning. Anything else is going to foul up!

Cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:35:33 AM »

Cheers

Dont agree, I always use RFH and have never had an issue. If you try to restart in the middle of a sub then yes you will have issues so start before but otherwise it should work.
One warning though if you are using the Demo version then it does not work as it is one of the few limitations.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

Cheers

Absolutely not true!  I often have need to interrupt, and re-start programs, and it's no big deal at all.  First step is re-establishing correct offsets, which is usually just a matter of touching off on some feature of the part.  Then, decide where in the program to pick up, click on "SetNextLine", then start running.  You have to be careful about the start point you pick, to make sure any initial conditions are set correctly (modal settings, spindle/coolant state, etc.).  Worst case, you may have to manually set a mode or two, or turn the spindle/coolant on, before re-starting.  RunFromHere can also be used, but I have not had a need for that, and have seen it screw up with the dopey "preparatory moves", so I just don't use it.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »

spindle/coolant on, before re-starting.  RunFromHere can also be used, but I have not had a need for that, and have seen it screw up with the dopey "preparatory moves", so I just don't use it.
Regards,
Ray L.

I use RFH almost every day without too much fuss.
Thanks for the tip Ray - I'll try your method next time. the prep moves are sometimes a bit "scary" :-)

ATB
Derek
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:20:38 PM by derekbpcnc »
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
oops :-[
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:22:50 PM by derekbpcnc »
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
I thought that the RFH would be the thing to do, but it didn't work.

How does the RFH work?

I tried clicking on it but I had no movement, but it did scroll through the lines of code

??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Scroll to the line you want to start at then press RFH, it will scroll through the code and once done you press Start, a box will pop up with the prep move and option to start the spindle, if it looks like its OK then press OK and it will move to the position stated in prep move. Once there its just a case of pressing cycle start again. One thing worth mentioning is it works best if you have the safe Z enabled.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Scroll to the line you want to start at then press RFH, it will scroll through the code and once done you press Start, a box will pop up with the prep move and option to start the spindle, if it looks like its OK then press OK and it will move to the position stated in prep move. Once there its just a case of pressing cycle start again. One thing worth mentioning is it works best if you have the safe Z enabled.
Hood

I'll give that a try, Thanks!

You say it will scroll through the code. Will it go back to the line I selected?

What is involved in the "prep" move? What if it's already in the position I want to start from?

For example I press e-stop in the middle of a cut. So now it's stopped in between point X and Y.

Would I select point X as a restart point. Would the prep move be to go back to that point and wait for me to press "cycle start" again?