Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:03:59 AM

Author Topic: DSP and ME :)  (Read 4475 times)

DSP and ME :)
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »
Hello all.

I have been working on my retro fit for about a year and a half. It started with Camsoft and a Galil controller, after months of dealing not only with Camsoft but with Galil I had to abandon that software/hardware and find something new. I came across Vital Systems through MachMotion. Since all I needed was a controller and software, the tech's from MachMotion suggested buying the controller they use directly from Vital Systems. I did a some research and called Vital and from what they said I knew this was the motion card for me.

The hardware, relays and such, from the Camsoft install worked perfect for the DSP, just a couple days of rewiring rather than a couple weeks (This is the first retro fit I have ever attempted, I have learned so much :)). Almost a plug 'n play right from the Camsoft (Galil) motion card. I would recommend this motion card, and Mach3, over Camsoft any day... I have a lot of anger and remorse for not doing more research before buying the Camsoft package. Plus the cost difference is HUGE!!

The DSP is so much more advanced then the Galil card I had. With the Galil card I would have had to purchase the ability for backlash compensation, at the cost of a few dollars less then what I purchased the DSP for ($800+)! Also I was having lot of problems getting my automatic tool changer to work properly with the Galil. The DSP offers programming within the motion card that enabled the reading of inputs FASTER than Mach3 can read, with a lot of help from Vital Systems I was able to get the AT to work flawless.

Vital Systems is a great company. They offer excellent support via Skype, which works great for sending screen shots and such back and forth. I know I have bothered poor Rufi almost to death... but he is a trooper!!!

Anyway after all the time spent, I am up and running thanks to Vital Systems!!! The only complaint I have is that I should have purchased the DSP that has analog INPUTS :P

Thanks Vital, and I hope that other people that have had problems with other cards, or new people that are thinking about retro fitting there machine come to you... the will not be disappointed.
Re: DSP and ME :)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
Hello Aeroshade:

I agree 100%, i.e., the Vital Systems controller.  You just don’t see the myriad of crazy problems like so many other posts on this forum, regarding the dspmc.  It just plain WORKS, and very well at that!  ;D

Regarding analog, take a look at the Cubloc PLC, and using modbus with Mach3. They have a large selection of units, from a single chip unit, to a large industrial modular system.

I am very pleased with the functionality of the Cubloc (www.cubloc.com), as well as the reasonable cost; my setup uses the CB280 module and a 32-M base board, plus a 20 key keypad.  Like all things electronic/programmable, it takes a little study, and fiddling. Very stable, and a nice addition to the retro-fit system.

As an aside, when I began looking at systems to retro-fit my machine, I did look into the Camsoft system, and Galil. The Camsoft seemed outrageous cost wise, so that never happened. Have read many negative forum posts regarding that system. I guess I just lucked out ;)

Re: DSP and ME :)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the link "mrprecise44", when I get a little more time I will investigate that option. I have a few things left to do to this fit, I have a new handwheel I need to hook up and a feedrate knob to install. Running without the feedrate knob is VERY FUN!!! :)

We have two VMC machines here. This machine with Mach3/DSP and the other is a Fanuc Oi. What is nice is that they both can run the same programs now!! I use SolidWorks with Bobcad or Camworks, and I don't have to change anything to run a program on either machine!!