Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:13:47 PM

Author Topic: Strange tool path generation  (Read 10963 times)

Re: Strange tool path generation
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
Interesting. I just upped the passes by changing the depth per pass from .043 to .022 and the pathing comes out more or less correctly.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Strange tool path generation
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
Clearance and tolerance are still a bit hazy
There are two clearances, one is how far you want the tool to retract from the stock ( pullout) and the other is how much you want to leave on the stock after the cutting ( stock clearance ). ( see page 23 of the manual).
You can think of tolerance as how closely the pathing will try to follow the profile.

Note that every button and it's associated inputs are defined in the manual.

What did you do to produce the pathing shown in the hcir.jpg? It looks like you have a large number of passes, both for rough and finishing

It is so easy to delete and then do another rough and finish pass that i would recomend that a new user use a rougher /
more cutting depth so they can get a feel for the passes provided and get a feel for the pathing.
So instead of .005" depth of cut use say .050" and you will see what is provided and what is left until you get the hang of it.

I need a sharp corner on the left side of the collet

You will need to use a sharp tool ( parting tool will work ....create the tool and try it) or use a left cutting tool. You can't select a place on the part to start the pathing but you can always use the same dxf with modifications.

As the profiles become more compplex you need to use a number of different tools just as if you were doing it manualy
on the lathe.

RICH