Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:37:24 PM

Author Topic: screwed up sign  (Read 6122 times)

screwed up sign
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
I designed a sign in Serif, a graphics program, and exported it as DXF to lazycam, looked OK so I set it up to cut from a 1x12 clear red wood plank.  Darn thing screwed up a couple of the letters and left a bunch of holidays behind.  Had to throw it away.  I even looked at the DXF file in DraftSight and it looked good, no extra lines or trash.  I have made smaller signs and it pocketed and left islands perfectly. This one was a big sign 12x36 and it's trash.

So it looks like I can't use Serif, at least with the fonts that come with it.

Question, where to get fonts that I can load into a CAD program like DraftSight and get a decent looking sign in 2D??

Or do I have to bit the bullet and buy V-Carve or something like it????

Shop made 48 x 48 inch CNC router...

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: screwed up sign
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »
May be helpful if you post the dxf and GCode for the sign. (The problem could be with your machine or setup).

Many are using VCarve now - it is an excellent product IMO.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »
I am curiuos also. Post the files .You may also want to post the LCAM file from Lazycam prior to posting it to Mach.
Not familar with Draftsight so can't be of any help on it.
RICH
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
This is the dxf file that produced the ugly sign, As I said the text font came out with snipes taken out and the program left 5 or 6 big holidays and a bunch of small ones.  The sign is 10 inches by 36 inches with a 1/4 cutter.

The dxf was produced in a graphics program (Serif) and exported to a usb flash drive.  The drive was then taken to my shop where I have LC and Mach3 on a stand alone computer to make the Gcode.... (no internet in the shop)  I think that I already deleted the Gcodes but I'll look if you want to see them.

After generating dxf I looked at the file in DraftSight (Desault) and it looked OK no orphans or broken lines.

I'm going to try again this morning  this time I'll run the file thru Draftsight to produce the final dxf. 

I guess I'll have to save up for V carve unless someone can suggest a more economical program for simple signs???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:34 AM »
Your dxf looks good, at least the profile is OK with LazyCam (cant test pocket as I don't have the licensed version).
The dxf works OK with VCarve as well.
I think your problem may be something other than the actual dxf.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
What you don't say is HOW are you trying to cut it profile wise. IS it a positive or negative design? Are you leaving the letters sticking up and carving all the wood away from them OR are you carving the letters INTO the wood surface??.

Check out SheetCam there is a free demo and it is low cost. Use free deskengrave to create FONT dxf letters. Not as fancy as Vcarve BUT it will do the job.

(;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
gumball, try this dxf as I found 7 open vectors in VCarve pro.

Cleaned it up for you so maybe you'll have better success with it this time.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
Thanks, hmmm, open vectors eh,  I suspected something like that. when the letters are blown-up from 270 pt to 6 inches the graphics program must forget to add pixels??

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
I will remark that LC leaves something to be desired when trying to do relief cut or raised text within a boarder. If your are going to do a lot of this kind of work I would suggest using a different program.
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Thanks, hmmm, open vectors eh,  I suspected something like that. when the letters are blown-up from 270 pt to 6 inches the graphics program must forget to add pixels??

I don't really know anything about that particular program, so I can't really comment on it. As Rich mentioned, I moved away from LCam soon after I paid for the pro version as I do a lot of engraving and such, and I just couldn't see putting the time into it as it was buggy, and I just couldn't "bond" with it.

I saved my pennies for VCarve Pro and I have never once regretted it as the features and the support are unequalled.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)