Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:01:44 AM

Author Topic: importing coordinate list  (Read 16113 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: importing coordinate list
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
IF you use CAM such as Sheetcam IT will do the tool offsetting and then you would NOT need ANY toolcomp in mach. JUST a simple leadin.

(;-) TP
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »
IF you use CAM such as Sheetcam IT will do the tool offsetting and then you would NOT need ANY toolcomp in mach. JUST a simple leadin.

(;-) TP
  I am trying to do it in BobCad but keep getting an error but I think i am close!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
IF you only have MAX 1 inch of travel then I don't think trying to Tcomp a 1.5"radius wheel is going to work well (;-).   When you say Bobcad do you mean  BOBCAD/CAM or just CAD?

Some CAMs have a problem Tool comping and OPEN profile as it is HARD for it to tell what is INSIDE or OUTSIDE to comp TO.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:04:44 AM »
Keith, (or anybody else)  could you give this DXF file a try to see IF BobCad, OR any other CAD, can open it ok.

It should be the import of the points file you sent.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:06:15 AM by BR549 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
Opens in CAD here.

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
Thanks Rich it was created from an X/Y points file that was converted straight to DXF from inside MACH3 using CB. Hopefully it will be a HELP to those who do 2.5D probing and need a way to get the points into a CAD format for further processing.

(;-) TP
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Thanks Rich it was created from an X/Y points file that was converted straight to DXF from inside MACH3 using CB. Hopefully it will be a HELP to those who do 2.5D probing and need a way to get the points into a CAD format for further processing.

(;-) TP
 TP  that is just what I was trying to do.  Will you tell us how it was done?  That would save a step for me.  I am generating the x/y point file in CB too.

Also, I am able to get my original x/y point file into BobCAD/CAM but had to use an intermediary program (Pointor) to do it.  There I am able do to the proper tool compensation but it would be nice to do it in LazyCam or Mach.  Thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:13:32 AM by thespindoctor »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 01:09:13 AM »
Keith do yo have another Test points file I can convert so you can check it in Bobcad. DXFs can be tricky at times, I hope I have created a universal dxf format that everyone can read.

How are you collecting points ??  Probing????

I have 2 versions of the convertor running. One is in MachCB and the other is in VB. I am testing both as to the best overall approach as to a MACH only solution OR a stand alone VB version anyone can use.

The convertor at this point ONLY brings in the points as POINTS no line work is done.  You would have to open it in CAD and do the needed cleanup then repost as a new DXF.

(;-) TP
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 01:35:55 AM »
Keith do yo have another Test points file I can convert so you can check it in Bobcad. DXFs can be tricky at times, I hope I have created a universal dxf format that everyone can read.

(;-) TP
Yes I can get you a file but I am realizing that the Cad program cannot really do much to help so it seems some mathematical manipulation is going to work better for me.  I am using a linear encoder and running along the x axis in a series of set increments and adjusting the Y values by an offset for the grinding wheel

I don't know how to attach a file as your have done...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
What your asking is a little beyond the basic CNC (;-) .  What points you are gathereing will create lines not arcs on curves.  You would better off using the COPYCAT function and use a probe tip profile the same as your wheel diameter. This will auto comp the profile back to the wheel diameter . You would use the COPYCAT to create arcs and lines in G CODE  not just a series of points.

I thought that skates were just ground on specifc contours (;-)

(;-) TP