Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:37:42 PM

Author Topic: Multiple homing routines on different machines?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Multiple homing routines on different machines?
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
 ???
   Earlier this week I was helped in setting up a homing routine with multiple axis moving. With everyones help here I was able to get it working quite well on a machine with 3 limit switches using 3 different pins.

However I also use the same computer and subsequent Mach 3 application on different machines,. These machines all have different profiles. The first oddity was when I hit "ref all" on my mill with 1 input pin for the limits. Z retracted first as it should in this case, stopped and backed off of the switch the prescribed amount. Upon starting the X & Y axis whenever it hits the first switch it stops and the other axis is left out. I looked at the script and it was my script for the other machine.
   Can each profile have a different script for homing?
   Have I forgot to load the screen to modify and therefore both profiles are sharing the same sceen?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple homing routines on different machines?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
You will have to copy the screen and save as a different name and then you can edit the button in it. To load a different screen in Mach look at the View Menu then Load Screen.
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
If you set up different profiles, and load different screens in each profile, they'll each use their own screens.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
Do you have to copy and load everytime you do a mod on that profile? Or once that screen is associated with that profile can it be editted direct?
You will have to copy the screen and save as a different name and then you can edit the button in it. To load a different screen in Mach look at the View Menu then Load Screen.
Hood
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
it appears I have been able to screw it up pretty well

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »
The screen contains the info stored in VB buttons so if you want a VB button to do one thing in one profile and another in another profile then you need different screens. You only need to load the screen once and it will then always be loaded with that profile and any changes you make to VB buttons will only be in that screen..
 It is always best to rename a screenset anyway if you make any changes to it as if you just use the standard name and you upgrade mach it will likely be overwritten and your changes lost. The standard Mill screen is called 1024.set

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »
I just noticed your post on the MSM section of the forum, are you using Daves screenset?
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
Hood, sorry for the delay. Yes, I am using Dave's screenset (MSM). From my understanding I might be able to associate one homing routine with a specific profile. Though according to Dave, MSM was really designed for 1 profile in Mach. He did give me a way to do it but I havent tried it, mostly because I dont understand how just yet. I recovered my use of both mills again and can live with the single axis homing on both machines and it is still accurate, but the 3 axis homing or maybe even 4 axis homing simultaneously was cool looking. Unfortunately, 1 of my machines has all 3 limit switches sharing the same pin. On that machine when the z would finish (I changed the script to finish z first and then start x & y simultaneously to avoid collisions with a vise or part)  and when x & y started moving upon touching either switch, the last axis wouldnt never complete or initiate. It took me a little while to realize what was happening. I am content at the moment but I will be pursuing the knowledge soon after I get over this last resurrecting! :-) Thanks for asking.