Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:24:13 PM

Author Topic: Anybody use Galaad to control Mach?  (Read 9732 times)

Offline pplug

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Anybody use Galaad to control Mach?
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
In our school we have a Techno DaVinci machine that uses Galaad to design and control it. Galaad has a feature that it can control mach on our homemade machine but it doesn't work at all for us. I was wondering if anybody has any experience using this software.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody use Galaad to control Mach?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Why would you want to have two controlling programs running at the same time? Sort of like two hens in the chicken house
and the rouster just can't work!

Sorry have no experience with that software,
RICH

Offline pplug

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
When you work with middleschool kids you want to simplify processes. We have had the davinci for the past 5 years and the best controller for that antiquated machine is Galaad or their controller only product Kay. I would gladly switch to mach and a proper cam program if the machine controller could do it. In Galaad you can use it for design and tool path creation, but you cannot export just the g-code. Btw, this is our only cam program. However, if we can use Galaad on the machine to set up the tool paths, we can then send the file directly to Mach for the machining. It should be as simple as pushing a button. Should be...... :)

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:49:37 AM »
Mach will not control Galaad, it will be a replacement for it, you need to have a look in the control panel, or the wiring diagram and firstly check.
1) is it controlled from the parallel port of the PC
2) Does it have stepper motors or servos
3) Do the drives accept step and direction signals.
With this basic info, we will be able to help you further
Regards
Steve

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »
However, if we can use Galaad on the machine to set up the tool paths, we can then send the file directly to Mach for the machining. It should be as simple as pushing a button. Should be......

If this was to work then you would be sending a GCode file to Mach but you say that Galaad will not export just the GCode  ??? ???

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:53:47 AM »
Some of the controllers are proprietary to the machine. They address the needs of the drives which may be restrictive and thus even though they accept step and direction they may be difficult to use. I got into an interesting discusion with a manufacturer
of a machine and in the end their drives were antiquated as compared to drives of today and thus would not be usable with a modern day controller such as Mach or any other. Additionally some of the drives have a chip which is flashed based on the controllers program. Don't know what you will really get into with what your trying to do and you may need more info than what the vendor will provide to make the hardward work.

So there are a number of issues that one needs to address. Sorry can't be more specific but thought this info may of help.
Wish you luck .....,

RICH

Offline pplug

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »
Sorry Guys,
I should have given you more background info about myself. I'm used to posting on the zone so everybody would see my sig. I've been tooling around with CNC for 7 or 8 years. Over the years, I have built 2 machines that use Mach or EMC as their controller software. I learned CNC systems using Techno DaVincis and I personally own and operate a Techno lc4896. I know quite a bit about how CNC systems work but I always want to try something a little different.

In school I built a 4x4' machine that uses Mach as a controller. The only Cad/CAM program the school currently owns is Galaad (for design and also to control the davinci). I got really exited when I saw that Galaad could control Mach as per this page: http://www.galaad.net/machines-eng.html . Look towards the bottom of the page and you will see what I mean. If galaad could control Mach, I would have to teach one interface for cutting on both machines! If you have ever taught middleschoolers CNC you would know how important this is!

The first time I looked at Galaad, I did not see any way to export G-Code. I think the software was either old or I did it after teaching 5 periods strait.  :-[ The next day I loaded the latest Galaad on the machine with Mach. Lo and behold.... There it was! The export function took a bit of mucking around but I eventually got it to work with Mach.

My ultimate goal is to still have Mach be controlled by Galaad, but its nice to know I can still export usable g-code.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
Looking at that it would seem what happens is Galaad produces the G Code then opens Mach and loads the file into Mach and then Mach controls things. Is that the way you interpret it?
Hood

Offline pplug

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
I think that's about right. I'm not 100% sure though. I did some experimentation and something weird is happening with Mach or Galaad or both (I'm not surprised.) when Galaad envokes the "external driver", Mach does not update anything on screen but my router goes crazy. All three axis move and I have to hit the e-stop before the z buries itself or the gantry goes out of whack and racks (4 axis slave). The racking gives me the feeling that Galaad is sending pulses directly through the parallel port. The strange thing is, is that I have a G540 on the machine and the charge pump is active.

Nasty surprises really don't surprise me anymore when working with Galaad. That software is crazy buggy! Too bad it's the only reliable interface for the techno.

BTW... Does Artsoft offer any educational discounts? We have to get registered!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
BTW... Does Artsoft offer any educational discounts? We have to get registered!

Not a clue you would have to contact Scott at  license@machsupport.com

Hood