Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:38:49 PM

Author Topic: Index Pulse Setup Problems (Lathe)  (Read 9045 times)

Index Pulse Setup Problems (Lathe)
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »
Hi all,
I'm having problems setting up the index pulse and i'm looking for a little help.
Its counting more pulses than it should, maybe about twice as many and is not linear.
I've tried Index Debounce and any value above 0 seems to have the same effect, it shows 135 RPM no matter what my spindle speed is.
I'm using an optical sensor (Optek OPB 917 BZ) with a 60mm diameter disc and one 10mm slot.
I read on this forum that its necessary to enable Spindle Relays even if they are not used, I tried this and it didnt seem to make a difference.
Is it necessary to run Spindle Calibration Test to get the Index Pulse to work properly?
I'm using the Demo version R3.043.022 Lockdown also tried the R3.043.045 Development  but same results.
any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Index Pulse Setup Problems (Lathe)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
I know that threading can not be done in Demo so possibly index pulse will not either although I think it does.
Index Debounce has always been fine for me at 0 and never any good at anything else.
If you attach your xml I will have a look and see if there are probs in it.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Hood, thanks for your reply,
Im not sure how to send the file it tells me theres already a file with that name, to rename it and try again. but the computer wont accept any new name. ???

I think it was a post of yours on Zone where i got the idea for the OPB 917 BZ sensor, where you said thats what you were using, and that they work well with mach.
Im using a limiting resistor on the sensor as well as on the LED side, is this correct or should i only be using one on the LED?

Regards,
Simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
I am not sure what the Z is in the part number, mine are just OPB 917B
I just use the limiting resistor on the LED side as I am feeding it with 5v so if putting a resistor on both sides that may be your issue. But then again it may be needed for the Z variant, I dont know?

To attach the xml you will need to rename so to rename you would need to copy the original from the Mach folder to your desktop and then rename to something like SimonC.xml and then the forum would accept.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:09 AM »
I will try removeing the resistor from the sensor side tonight, and even if it blows it,i have a few spare ones lieing around.

in the meantime heres the XML 

thanx again for your speedy replys

regards
Simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
Ok if that is the xml you are using you do not have the index enabled and set to the port and pin number it is connected to, also Spindle Relays are disabled so I suspect the xml may be the wrong one?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
Yup that was the wrong XML,not sure were that was from.
This is the correct one

I tried removeing the resistor from the sensors + supply wire and it didnt seem to make any diffrnce so im hopeing theres a flaw in this xml or that i just need to buy the licenced version of mach.

regards
Simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
Your xml is fine and its not because its demo as I just simulated the index pulse here after removing my licence and its fine.
Not sure what you are meaning by "I tried removeing the resistor from the sensors + supply wire and it didnt seem to make any diffrnce" If you removed the resistor from the LED side also then you have blown the opto for sure.
You should have 5v going to to a resistor then to the Red wire, 5V also going to the white wire but direct rather than through a resistor. Blue wire is the input to Mach and the green and black wires both go to 0V.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
One other thing, have you checked that the voltage from your supply is 5v, if its 3.3v then that may be your problem.
If the above and the voltage are not your issues then I can only think the slot is not wide enough for the Dia disc you are using but that would seem unlikely.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
Hood thanx for takeing the time to check the demo version. now i know that the mach settings and the demo version are ok,it must be the hardware side of things. when i get home from work i will check the voltage is giveing 5V. I still have a resistor on the LED side but i will also try a new opto switch just to be sure its not blown. This is a link to a thread i made on the zone showeing how i have it wired up,i suspect it might be wrong.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_electronics_discussion/121343-wiring_optical_interupt_switch_bob.html

regards
Simon