Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:39:41 AM

Author Topic: Zeroing using a Tool Turret  (Read 2367 times)

Zeroing using a Tool Turret
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
Hello All, I have recently finished rebuilding an EMCO 120p that is running Mach3. I'm a rank beginner with this CNC stuff, but, this old man is learning :) My question...how does one set the tool offset for a drill bit mounted on a turret. I have an 8 tool turret and three of the positions have drill bits. I tried a few ways, but, just seem to be missing something. Probably something really simple and this old man can't see it   ;D

thanks
pete

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Zeroing using a Tool Turret
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
Are you meaning what the offset will be or actually how to measure the offset?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
Hood, thanks for replying.  Here's what I have done so far.... placed a bit of stock in the chuck. Took a skim cut, measured the stock, which let's say .500". I then put that number into the part zero DRO and set it( I'm using diameter mode and rear mounted tool post). I also touched it off in the tool table screen.  Now I turn the turret to bring up a drill bit, let's say a .250"... What would be the procedure to get the drill centered to the part and setting the X offset???

thanks
pete 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Ok what I would do is after the first tool is set then call the drill and move to the stock and zero on the end of the stock by entering zero into the Z Offset DRO and then pressing Touch Z button. Next I would move slightly positive in the Z and then out on the X. I would have a piece of tool steel placed against the side of the stock and as you slowly jog out you will feel the drill touch the steel and you can then work out the X offset by taking half the dia of the drill away from the dia of the stock. You then enter that value into the  X Offset DRO and press Touch X.
Hood