Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:44:29 PM

Author Topic: Upgrading from Mach2 to Mach3 - basic help - slow Z- Jog, etc.  (Read 8846 times)

Upgrading from Mach2 to Mach3 - basic help - slow Z- Jog, etc.
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
I just got my Mach3 install finally running.  I learned to use my machine on Mach2.  I did some basic cuts in Mach3, but need some help making it user friendly.

The first thing is, how do i make the Z-axis jog more touch sensitive?  That may not be the right word, but I use that to set the tool on the wood surface.  Its just way too jumpy.  I slowed down the jog speed to 60%, but that doesn't seen to make the jog go just a little with a bump of the page down.   

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from Mach2 to Mach3 - basic help - slow Z- Jog, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
YOu need to switch from continous jog to incremental jog and then SET a jog step increment value per step(.001,.010,.100,etc). Press the TAB key and the jog window pops out.  You can configure your jogging from there. when done press the tab again.

(;-) TP

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
Terry didn’t mention it, but when jog is in step mode, you can press the shift key and then the page down and the Z will rapid. When the tool gets close to the work let off the page down to stop it, then tap it to move incrementally to touch off.  Works great.
HTH,
Al
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
This is a nice technique.  I'd still like to slow the Z-jog speed down though.  I had a Z-plunge that messed up a piece.  Its just sooo fast.  In the menu that pops up with the tab, I turned everything down to 50%, but its still going fast.  Is there another place?

Another question that sort of relates.  I use this setup to make guitar bodies.  I use a fixture from the front and one for the back.  The front is pretty forgiving, so long as I run all the front programs in one session.  The back needs to be pretty accurate.  My machine give inconsistent ref-homes.  They are close, but not close enough.  So I drilled a couple holes in the fixture with a .5 inch bit and marked them.  Then I try to line up the .5 bit in the hole, then adjust the offsets until its right on.

With the jog going to .005, its a lot easier to get it lined up.  But is there a better way? 

Terry didn’t mention it, but when jog is in step mode, you can press the shift key and then the page down and the Z will rapid. When the tool gets close to the work let off the page down to stop it, then tap it to move incrementally to touch off.  Works great.
HTH,
Al

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
Sounds like you are talking 3 different things. Do you want to slow down the JOG or do you want to slow down the rapid or do you want to slow down the feed. ?

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
I use a MPG instead of keys for jogging, seems it would be the best solution for you. Have it in Velocity mode and it goes fast when you wind fast, slow when you wind slow and then you can put into multistep mode and each click will be at the increment size you have set.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
Also, using Al's method, when you hold the SHIFT key you are overriding the % value setting and going full bore.

You could try setting the slow jog to 30% (+/-) then just toggle between CONT and INC.
   Slow jog in CONT at 30% until you get close.
   Then switch to INC and feed in until you touch.
Russ
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I see now, the shift does override.  I like the idea of slowing down the jog, then toggling, but the mouse in my setup isn't the best.  I started with in on a shelf with my KB, but it was stressing my wrist.  So I bought a wireless mouse, then just set it on the table to use it, then move it to the side when I start the program.  So I do KB commands as much as possible.  I'll probably live with the fast jog on the shift.  It worked pretty well today.  I ran the machine a lot.

The question about feedrate, jog and rapid is correct, I was getting them mixed up.  I thin the feedrate is set in the g-code.   It would be nice to dial the rapid down.  Is that a separate adjustment?  Its only moving down a couple inches, so there is no rush.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
YOU would  set the Rapid down in config motor tuning Z lower the vel number. THAT is what limits your top rapid speed.

(;-) TP

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
 It would be nice to dial the rapid down.  Is that a separate adjustment?  Its only moving down a couple inches, so there is no rush.

Keep in mind that this will also reduce every rapid (G0) in every program you run.
There may be "no rush" in touching off, but it could extend your part program cycle time substantially.
FWIW,
Russ