Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:20 PM

Author Topic: Windows shutdown driver hang  (Read 3492 times)

Windows shutdown driver hang
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:59 AM »
I know this answer must be somewhere in the list, but cant seem to find it.

When I try to use Windows auto shutdown -- I'm a forgetful old geezer :P  -- XP Pro hangs with a message saying that the MACH3 driver is holding things up.  Is there a way around this or do I need to tie a string around my finger.....

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Windows shutdown driver hang
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:22:13 AM »
You need to close Mach first before you can shut down windows.
Hood

Offline ERP

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
FWIW Even after exiting Mach, I commonly (maybe 1 in 4) can't shutdown XP because of some driver preventing a shutdown, end up having to hold the power switch down.
I've always assumed it's the mach driver, but I haven't verified.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »
I get a specific message from Windows XP pro when I try to enter standby to the effect that  "The driver from MACH3 is preventing standby" etc and saying the MACH 3 should be closed and try again.  So my assumption is that it's the same situation with your full shutdown/hang  -- which I also experience.  I am fortunate in that my machine was rebuilt from scratch before I loaded MACH3 a few weeks ago and I have few other programs on the machine -- but the problem existed when the machine was almost totally free of any other software.  Otherwise it could become a fingerpointing exercise on a fully loaded machine.

I suspect that this is easy to fix, but that the MACH3 team is doing much more productive work making their outstanding product even better.  I really can't complain, but maybe it will get fixed somewhere down the road.    As Hood said, ' just close MACH3 (like we should) before shutting down'.

Offline ERP

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
There is nothing else on my machine except Mac, which is why I always assumed it was the mach driver.
I built the machine installed XP Pro, installed Mach and put it in the garage.
Not a big deal just a reference point.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
I dont think it is likely to get fixed as I suspect it cant be. The Mach driver is not like a normal Windows driver, from my understanding it basically tells Windows what to do rather than the other way around ;)
Simple answer, shut Mach down before you shut the computer down or put in standby.
Hood