Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:45:48 PM

Author Topic: 1/5th Scale V8 Blown  (Read 48988 times)

1/5th Scale V8 Blown
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
I was going to call this thread "Blown cylinder heads".

This is the official kickoff of the blown Demon V8. I’m going to start a new thread so there will be no confusion to someone who starts reading the other thread.

I looked over the parts in the garage. I did make a lot of stuff for the second engine but when we started getting to the end a lot of the “I’ll make two” went out the window.

Among the big parts is the block. The block and oil pan are 100% complete. The liners and lifter bushings are pressed in and the bores are finished and ready for pistons. That will save at least a week and maybe two. The bell housing adapter and bell housing are also done.

The heads are done 100% and the valve cages are pressed in. One head has the valves installed. Both heads will need the rockers installed. All the pieces for the heads are made and tucked away for the later process.

The intake is nowhere. I made the blank but still need to do everything. This manifold will be completely different than the carbureted unit.

The valve covers are done but will need some kind of work to fancy them up a bit.

The camshaft is cut and assembled. I still need to do all the hand work to smooth out the cam lobes.

I also have the Timing cover done as well as the balancer and blower pulley.

I’m thinking the place to start is with the block. I’ll get it trimmed out with crankshaft, rods, pistons and so fourth and just roll from there. It will be a slow start because of the holiday ending and I have a lot going on in the next 2 weeks.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:16:26 PM by stevehuck »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: 1/5th Scale V8 Blown
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually like the simple "ole school" brushed finish on the valve covers.  ;)

Looking forward to another kick-ass segment from you. Steve-

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually like the simple "ole school" brushed finish on the valve covers.  ;)

I was on the same page with ya. I might engrave some text in them and leave the surface brushed.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
nice!  8)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
 :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
This is going to be a great project to follow.   ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
Steve,
Nice to have the gcode to create multiples of the same part. Look forward to another interesting thread.
Still using MeshCam and Cambam?

RICH
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:12:02 AM by RICH »
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
Steve,
Nice to have the gcode to create multiples of the same part. Look forward to another interesting thread.
Still using MeshCam and Cambam?

RICH

I was using LazyCam and CamBam but now CamBam only. Cambam can do all my parts but the 3D and lathe ops made the blower and sparkplug insulators possible. CB does it all for the kind of hobby I'm into.

I was making the insulators by hand. I have to cut so light that I was getting maybe 2 an hour if I didn't break them. Corian is very fragile. I found the lathe module in CamBam and created some Gcode. Then I borrowed a friends sherline lathe and spit them out every 6 minutes.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:47:30 AM by stevehuck »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »
Steve,
Off thread here somewhat, but think it's worth a few postings  about  what is being used to assist you in creating the Gcode for the parts you need to machine.
At the hobby level it is very hard to justify spending a lot of money to make life easy.
CamBam is certainly worth the purchase and was an easy transition for me to use. Has some nice features in it. Haven't tried the 3D part of it as i am still fooling with MeshCam.
I went to 3D training from work for 3 weeks, after that didn't want to even look at a pc at home. The worst part is between all the software used is that i find myself cursing all of them on the use of different keys to manipulate the graphics display.

RICH

Offline ThomasCB21

•  19 19
  • If it ain't fun, don't do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
Very Cool Steve, I can't wait to this one running.

Chris