Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:22:07 AM

Author Topic: still kickin'.......  (Read 7024 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
still kickin'.......
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »
Just a note to let you know I'm still here, but we've been out of power going on the 3rd day here.

Heck, I'm fairly far inland and there's still 10,000 people out of power here in central Pa. Couldn't even imagine being on the coast.

Hope all those who went through Hurricane Irene are doing ok and staying safe.

Talk soon-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: still kickin'.......
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:44:43 AM »
Glad your OK Dave!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

andrewm

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
No power in most of Maine for the 3rd day today, 90k without power in Maine total.

Irene didnt even touch down in Maine!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
Thanks fellas, just got back on this evening. Unfriggin believable, but at least we're powered again-

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Glad you got your power back. I live in California and the day of the hurricane I met someone who works for the power company here. He said that he was on call to go out east to help fix the power as soon as it was safe. Apparently, they send people from all over the country to help when something like this happens. So they must have had the most people working on it that they could in order to get it working as fast as possible.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
Hi, Steadfast, and welcome to the forum.

Actually I talked with a few of the guys who actually got the power back on and explained to them how frustrating it was as we had 4 sets of guys/crews come and walk around just looking up at the cables. No ladders, nothing else, just walking around. When I asked them what's it look like, they said they had no idea because they couldn't see anything wrong and they had no idea of the time frame.

The actual guys that did repairing said they had no idea or clue why they (the first 4 crews)  told me that, as it was plain as day as to what was wrong. They had us up and running in under a half hour. I'd love to know the true story about why the first 4 crews were here, but I never will...probably the power companies thinking that we'll all be appeased if they see their "men"  assessing the situation. They were wrong, it only pissed us all off when they had no answers and kept coming around without results....

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
Would you rather they were collecting unemployment? LOL at least they are paying taxes!! ;-)
Does not surprise me in the least.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
at the VERY least ........  ;)

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
The first 4 crews were probably supervisors who know nothing technical, probably just stalling until the guys who knew what they were doing could get there.
We used to live in an area where there were only 58 homes on our particular power grid, so when the power went out, it was low priority, and we had to wait until they had some free time to fix it. So I know how frustrating it can be. But at least the restaurants still had power so we could go out to eat. Of course, you have to throw away everything in the refrigerator, which for me is a huge investment because I tend to keep the freezer packed.
How did you deal with food? Could you cook? Even if you have a gas stove, most of them have electric ignitions, so they won't work.
Thanks for the welcome.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
And we no longer use matches? Damn 21st Century has screwed everything up.