Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:44:44 PM

Author Topic: Match 3 Information  (Read 4898 times)

Match 3 Information
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
  Hi I am a new member here. And very new to getting interested in CNC. And as I am now 76 and 1/2 senile. :) I have suddenly got interested in CNC. And I have decided if I do it. I would like to use Mach 3. BUT as i am not very sharp on a computer anyway. And I see all these complex sounding things and problems.?? Maybe it's beon me.But I want to try. I have been all over the net. looking at everything I can. Looking at all the samples etc. Especially  in the CAD/CAM stuff. And  Being honest. It all moves so fast with just a clik,click,click :) and it looks like they are presuming you already know about CNC progaming.?? DOES ANYONE KNOW of a easy to learn for a novice a CAD/Cam progam. For mmainly making small stuff. As I aam mainly into small engines and building guns from scratch. Thanks for any help or advice. Whitey
 E-mail    whanson@plainstel.com

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Match 3 Information
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:49:24 PM »
Whitey,
The best advice I can give you is to find a local mentor on CNC. That person can save you hours of time in learning and point you in the right direction
to pursue any specific you may desire to any degree you wish. You need to learn some basics and be safe in whatever you do. I think that desire,
the ability to read with interest, and find joy in what you do will over shadow any preceptions on age.

Hopefull time is somewhat your owne, so maybe start by taking a very basic free course offered in the community on computers.
Here is one that i did a long long time ago........I knew nothing about programming ...so i went to the local library and went in the kids section,
read 10 kid books on computer programming in a short time, went back and took out another bunch of books and before I knew it, I was smarter than a 5 year old. :D

Don't try to absorb it all at once.....learn some of the computer basics, then maybe try out a free CAD program. You only need to learn how to draw a straight line, line on a angle, a circle and be able to join them together.

Hope this gets you going some, have fun,
RICH

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
 Thanks Rich. The problem is just getting the basics. Believe me I understand what you are saying. But for sure no schools around here. so it has to be the hard way or no way. But will keep trying Just wish there was more out there for beginners to start with. Whitey.

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:05 AM »
Hi Whitey, it hasn’t been that long that I was in your exact same position, (other than I have a few years age on you :)). If I may I would elaborate on Rich’s suggestions.
Do download a CAD program, ANY CAD program, better if it’s free and maybe an AutoCad clone.
Draw something simple, like a rectangle. Shouldn't take long, just read the help file on how to draw a line. Ignore the gazillion other features for now.
Save as a DXF file. That is a standard format that describes your drawing as a text file.
Any CAM program can read the DXF and will convert it into a set of step by step Gcode instructions that mach3 will use to cut the part.
Load the Gcode into mach3 and the toolpath window should show your rectangle.
Study the Gcode. The G00, G01, G02 and G03 will cut 99% of anything you can draw and are butt simple to understand.
If you get this far then you are well on your way, the rest will fall out a step at a time.
The above is perhaps an over simplification but It reallly is that simple; (of course the devil is in the details). This forum is the place to ask questions.
HTH,
 Al
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Al thanks any and all avice is great And your right one bite of the apple at a time :) I would like to find a good simple cad/cam progam.To start with. whitey

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »
If you like to READ I would suggest this book for beginners.

http://www.cncintro.com/cnctoc.html
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:08:14 AM »
My favorite cad program is Viacad 3d.
For a less expensive version get the 2d version.

http://www.punchcad.com/p-7-viacad-2d-v7.aspx

I currently use Deskcnc for the Cam software. It is not the easiest but it is what I had at the time. The price is very reasonable too.

There are several other cam programs out there as well such as Cambam and Lazycam, both free.

If you have Viacad or Deskcnc questions I can help.
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
Thank you and will look at them also.  Whitey
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
Several nice free programs can be found at this site.

http://majosoft.com/engraving/html/free_cad_cam_software.html

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
Thanks a lot. Whitey