Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:42:45 AM

Author Topic: How can I connect servo to mach3 as spindle  (Read 8593 times)

How can I connect servo to mach3 as spindle
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »
Yes I do search before post.
I have intention to make a cnc lathe using
Panasonic minas-A5 and MSME042 ac servo motor as spindle
but before I spend  alot of money buying it I need to know
how exacly can I connect an ac servo to mach3 do I need a brain?
how can I choose to control it's as spindle and axis do I need to construct a board?
It's has a PANATERM terminal comunication program do I need wrote specific script
for it to comunicate with mach3?
how can I wire a servo amplifier when it's need a paralle for it's encoder and amplifier
is this board can be suffice http://www.thaisupport.co.th/fastech_FAS-USB-I016A_1.phpl

I search about this for two days
any one can answer it I will be appreciated and Thank very much
Thank you in advance :)

Offline djc

•  47 47
    • View Profile
Re: How can I connect servo to mach3 as spindle
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »
...I have intention to make a cnc lathe using Panasonic minas-A5 and MSME042 ac servo motor as spindle...

Mach cannot do 'continuous motion' of a position-controlled axis.

Hopefully your servo should have two modes of operation, speed control and position control, and a way to switch between them.

Just use a custom M code to switch between the two modes and control each in the normal manner. You will also have to consider indexing/orienting the motor if you switch between the modes more than once on a part.

A servo that I know for a fact has this ability is the Mitsubishi MR J2 series. It might be instructive to download a manual for this and compare with your one.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
Does your servo drive accept Step/Dir signals? If it does then you can easily set it up as a spindle in Mach just by configuring the correct pins you have the Step and Direction set to.
If your servo drive is just analogue input then you would need one of the speed controllers available such as the DigiSpeed to output 0 to 10V.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:12:26 AM »
Thanks guy I'll look into it