Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 07:32:19 PM

Author Topic: Unlock aspect ratio in Scale  (Read 11280 times)

Unlock aspect ratio in Scale
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
I am aware that LazyCAM is a permanent Beta version, but it would be really convenient if an update could be developed which would allow LazyCAM's Scale function to be used with the ability to Unlock Aspect Ratio. The specific reason I personally would like to see this feature added, is the ability to simply create a simple DXF file of a Rectangle. Then, using LazyCAM's scale function, it could be easily altered to any size needed. I find myself frequently creating DXF files of various sized Rectangles to be opened into LazyCAM, and a pocket created (to plane the surface of a piece of stock flat, in preparation of an engraving operation).
   If it were possible to Unlock the Aspect Ratio for Scaling, a single DXF of a Rectangle could be used for ALL!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Unlock aspect ratio in Scale
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »
I don't use it often, but isn't that what the Scale DRO's are used for in mach 3 on the Program Run Page?

Maybe that helps?
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »
The DRO scales in Mach3 would scale EVERYTHING. If you are working with a Pocket, then this would include the toolpath generated by LazyCAM on the scaled DRO axis. I.E. instead of a 50% overlap of the toolpath on say the Y axis, adjusting the scale on the Y axis DRO in Mach3 would result in a toolpath which would instead be spaced by (whatever scale ratio you enter into the DRO). NOT what one would want to do, in a surface plane operation. For example:
Original Rectangle DXF dimension X=10, Y=5. Imported into LazyCAM, select the Rectangle, and Click on the Pocket option to create a pocket toolpath. LazyCAM generates the toolpath, then select the Post option to output the G code to Mach3. Works fine.
 However, say I wanted to instead create a pocket toolpath of a different sized rectangle. (Say X=10, Y=10) if it were possible to UNCHECK the Maintain Aspect Ratio check box in LazyCAM's Scale menu, I could simply change the Y directly within LazyCAM. INSTEAD of having to exit LazyCAM, and Mach3, launching a CAD program, and entering the drawing commands to create a Rectangle with X=10, Y=10 dimensions, save the new DXF file. Exit the CAD program, re-launch Mach3, re-launch LazyCAM, and then create the pocket toolpath. A lot of steps which could be completely eliminated if it were possible to simply "Uncheck the Maintain Aspect Ratio box in LazyCAM's Scale Menu".

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
I see, unfortunately I don't see Art fooling with this any longer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'd PM him or ask over on the Mach 3 Yahoo forum where he seems to be, rather than here.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:55 PM »
Machs scaling is axis specific just like what you are asking for Lcam. This allows one to do scaling based on aspect ratio in mach not just a gobal scale.

Might want to check out the wizards they are great for what you are wanting to do. MUCH faster than Cad/Cam.

Just a thought(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
Could also use a different tool in LC to create  a larger or smaller offset. Then pocket that offset with a different tool.
I have not seen anything done to LC in a number of years and the only thing Art was going to do was replace the lathe module.
Doubt very much he is going to fool with it but no harm in asking. Remember that LC is a dxf importer. maipulating after the fact is certainly not one of it's
strong points.

RICH