Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:07:13 AM

Author Topic: converting DWF files to g-code in Mach3  (Read 9524 times)

converting DWF files to g-code in Mach3
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
Good day:

I have read that you can import DWF files directly into Mach3 and convert it to G-Code.
Several sites have said to open File and hit convert but that does not appear in my file directory.

Is there a simple way of doing this ?

Thanks
Henry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: converting DWF files to g-code in Mach3
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
Hi Henry,

Before I get in too deep here do you really mean DWF (which is essentially a compressed file format) or do you mean DXF ??

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »
Henry,
You can import a dxf file into Lazycam and post code to Mach. I never used that very old version of Mach but believe it also was based on a dxf, maybe not. You can't go directly from a DWF or DWG.
The dxf provides for definition of what was drawn, even if it did accept a dwg the info contained in the drawing would need to be manipulated for use by another program or a converter would need to be included.

If you want a high level explaination about dxf files you will find it in Appendix "C" of the LazyTurn Manual.

You need to define what you want to machine and how. Any software is not a "mind reader of what you want to do".

RICH
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »
Another newbie with the same issue.  I imported the dxf into lazy cam but there is no Z coordinates, just X&Y.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
LazyCam is 2d and you define the depth of cuts based on a tool and selection. It's not a 3D CAM.
RICH
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.   My mill controller manufacturer said it would convert to G code, but he didn't mention the 2D part.