Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:53:08 PM

Author Topic: z direction  (Read 2332 times)

z direction
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:32:06 AM »
I know this sound so basic as to be laughable, but do you set up z axis as plus is downwards or plus is up.
I ask because I had z set as plus down, using the write wizard, but now im using lazycam for the first time, its seems to set things up as z plus up.

also I have x and y as 0,0 in the top left corner in plan, is this right.

Maybe i'm missing something, as Im only just getting started.

sorry to introduce such basic questions

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: z direction
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »
When we are talking Machine Coordinates then Z fully Up is Zero and all moves down are Negative.
X and Y zero are with the tool at the lower left corner and all moves are positive.

You can set up work offsets from there and what you actually see in the DROs are work offsets (unless you have the machine coords button active) So if you zero the Z axis on the top of your workpiece (normal practice) then you will have both Z positive and negative moves. Similar for X and Y, you can zero the offset anywhere on your table, this would normally be done at the lower left corner of the material you will be working on or if it is a round object often you would use the centre of it as your offset zero position. Thus your will then have both positive and negative values possible in your code.

If you have home switches and are homing to the Top Left then you can do one of two things, well actually three ;)
1. Leave as is and work the way you want but that is against the normal way and may give you grief in the future.
2. Choose the opposite of what you currently have in the Home Neg box on Homing and limits page for the Y axis
3. Set a home off value equal to the Y axis distance for the Y in Homing and limits. What this will do is when you home instead of the Y DRO(machine Coords) being set to Zero it will be set to the distance you have set, ie the amount you are away from true Machine Zero. That way Mach knows that you are fully positive on Y and that machine zero is fully the other way.

Hood
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:47:46 AM by Hood »
Re: z direction
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
Thanks,

I will go and reconfigure my machine , so I can be right from the start.

Eventually I might start to get into the actual routing and shape cutting.

Thanks again