Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:43:13 PM

Author Topic: Is backlash compensation broken?  (Read 10141 times)

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Re: Is backlash compensation broken?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
Got to wonder why they take on the task when it seems so simple and effective to let Mach take care of it directly. Especially considering (apparently in the case of SS) they screw it up and leave you high and dry with nothing that works.
 Of course, the best (and only reasonable) solution is to not have any backlash in the first place. I've found the compensation to be marginal at best anyway.

Sage

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
I dont think there is much choice or I am sure they would let Mach handle it, backlash comp is likely part of the Mach Driver so if you dont use the Mach Driver, ie you are using an external device, you have to do things like backlash in your device.

Backlash worked well for me with the SS in the testing I did, even slackened off the bearings to make more ;D Holes came out nice and round, just slight marks at the quadrants but I would imagine that would happen anyway as comp cant stop cutters pushing/pulling an axis around if its slack..

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
seems so simple

Sage,not sure that is the case with the SS , since if it was ,Greg would have solved the implementation of it a long time ago.
Yep, no practical backlash is the only way to go, but, BC served me well for a long time. In fact a friend used BC on his lathe which used 1"- 8 TPI
cheapo all thread rod  with about 1/16"  backlash and you would be amazed at what he made and the accuracy he was able to achive.

RICH