Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:44:52 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn  (Read 6516 times)

Offline croy

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Mach3 Turn
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »
Hi all,
i have installed the free Mach3,  on the default setup

is ir possible to reverse the cordinates on the X and Z axiz, i.e make z + moving to the left and x + moving in toward centre?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Turn
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »
You can make the axis move whichever way you wish in relation to the DROs but you wont be able to change the toolpath as far as I can see.
Is there a reason you wish things to be the opposite of standard practice??
Hood

Offline croy

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:52:56 AM »
Hi Hood,

please ignore my last question, it was in ignorance as i still done yet know how CNC works.

Roy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »
Roy,
 a lathe works either on Diameter or radius, I prefer diameter. So in essence when the tool is on centre that is zero dia (or radius) and moving away from centre increases the dia thus the axis is moving positive.
Z is the similar to a Z on a mill, if you think of a mill with the surface of the material being zero then everything you mill off will be a negative value. In a lathe it is normal to set the end of the stock as zero then as with the mill everything cut off will be a negative value.

Now some people like to set things differently (especially router guys ;)  ) and really its up to them but the above is standard practice and fairly easy to get your head around and can avoid confusion if ever needing to ask questions.

Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
Don't rub it in - I know nothing of Lathes but I am a mean advocate when it comes to Routers.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE