Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:16:26 PM

Author Topic: Axis stay short of where they should go  (Read 8341 times)

Axis stay short of where they should go
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
I'm sure that the problem was answered before but I didn't know what catch-wore to use to find it.

If I give an input, lets say x2, it will only go to 1.989 on the DRO. If I than give the input of x0 it will go to perfect 0.000. This error accumulates and make the circles be not round. I can't compensate with backlash since it's not the machine that is the problem, it's Mach3. The same problem is on the y axis too. Did I forget to make a setting somewhere?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Axis stay short of where they should go
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
Mach will ALWAYS go the closest position it can go to the commanded point based on step size AND it does NOT accumilate error.  IF it did then you would NOT have gone back to zero(;-) IF MACH has to hold short based on step size THEN at the next point it CAN it will add the hold short value back in.

I would guess that your steps per unit are not exactly perfect. When that is so then when you make a LONG move you see the error and when you move BACK to the start it will always be exactly where you started.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
I did not set the steps per unit, it was done by Mach when I calibrated the axis' with the axis calibration feature. When I made a test-run of 10" it went to 9.986, 14thou short. Went back to 0 and I measured the 'backlash' and it was 28thou (coincidentally exactly 2x14). I adjusted the backlash 0.028 and cut a 1" circle and I got two halves, offset by about 28thou. You could see the tick on the top and on the bottom. The ticks were toward the -x. If I run without backlash the circles are not round and are all over.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Like I said your steps per unit where not perfect to begin with(;-) DID you fix that problem?

How did you measure the backlash?

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:06:49 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
Like I've said, the steps per unit were calculated by Mach3 when I used the axis calibration feature. The backlash I calculated, like I've said, by measuring the difference between the starting point and the endpoint when I went 10" on x and returned to 0.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
The  way To calculate back lash is to set up a dial indicator against the Spindle or tool in the spindle  using step jog set for.001 steps back the axis up until you see the dial indicator move a full .001"( Take the slack out of the movement). Then single step it in the opposite direction dirction unitl you see it move .001" again in the opposite direction. the amount of .001" steps is your backlash.

There are also some settings for backlash you may want to read up on such as Shuttlespeed tha can effect your backlash corrections.

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:26:42 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »
Your way, TP, is for sure the better way of doing it but if you lack a dial indicator the next best thing is to use a digital caliper and measure it the way I described it. Theoretically they both should show the same results all be it the caliper way will, most likely, not be as precise since there is the human factor involved but that should be only a thou or two and I'm not worried about that right now. First I'd like to solve the general problem and then I'll teak it.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
First you need to recalculate the steps per unit to get that part correct so it moves the correct distance per command.

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
Oh man, if I had a buck for every time I did that! :) But again, I used a digital caliper for the lack of dial indicator.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:42:01 PM »
OK do you have any info on the Axis drives such as steppers?, micro stepping drives? , gear reduction?, turns per inch on the screws, is it rack and pinion?

What are the  settings you are using  now?

The Calibration routine will work but you have to keep refining the settings until it is perfect.Most times it is NOT always a one shot deal.

Run the routine let it setup the settings then measure the error and adjust the settings by the % of error. Then measure it again repeat if needed.

ALWAYS move in the same direction to measure AFTER you take up any slack(backlash in the axis) That will eliminate backlash in your measurement.

Calipers will work just fine. Just be consistant on how you measure it. NOTE: some low end digital  calipers are only accurate to +/- .005.

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:48:27 PM by BR549 »