Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:07 PM

Author Topic: Smoothstepper and Proxxon mf-70 cnc help  (Read 4511 times)

Smoothstepper and Proxxon mf-70 cnc help
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
Hello

I know this is not a Mach 3 problem as such (well I don't think it is) but I hope someone could please help me.

I have just installed a smoothstepper card to my proxxon mf-70 cnc mill as i'm hoping to get better results when machining very fine detail.
Everything has worked fine apart from the spindle will not turn on?...the spindle is turned on with a switch on the side of the spindle and not with M3 code.
The machine is wired with the spindle, servo's and controller on the same power supply.
I've disconnected the smoothstepper and wired it back to what it was and spindle turns on and off as it should but when I connect the smoothstepper the spindle switch wont work again???? is it a setting in config?????

Would really be thankfull if someone could help me.

Daral.j

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothstepper and Proxxon mf-70 cnc help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
Cant see how a simple switch could be affected by having a SS in the mix. There must be more to it than just sharing the same power supply if the other components are working (servo etc)
Can you maybe explain a bit more about how things are wired as it sounds like there must be a relay in there somewhere, possibly using the enables in Mach?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

Basically the machine has the servo controller on the back of the machine with a on/off switch with a on/off switch on the spindle with it all going into the servo controller with one power supply cable coming out.
It has one parallel port coming out of the controller going to the pc.
If the controller is turned off the spindle switch will work on/off at will but if when the controller is turned on the spindle switch wont work till Mach3 has been fired up.

Now with the smoothsteper card installed the spindle switch wont work

Daral.j

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Are you setting up a new profile when using the SmoothStepper or just using the same one? If the same then can you attach the xml for that profile, if different then can you attach both.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:09:40 PM »
Hi

I just followed the instructions and created a new profile by cloneing my existing profile.
I haven't added any xml.?

sorry really new to this. I've been operating cnc machines for 14 years just not gone into the workings of them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:13:06 PM by Daral.j »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Ok with your parallel port profile open look at the lower right of the main screen and you will see the name of your profile. Look in the main Mach3 folder on your drive and you will see a file with that name and a xml extension, copy that to your desktop and rename to Proxon1.xml. Do the same when you open the profile you use with the SS and call that proxon2.xml then on the reply page use the additional options button to browse to these renamed files, that will attach them to your reply.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Thanks

Daral.j
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:20:46 PM by Chaoticone »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »