Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:25:40 PM

Author Topic: mach3 estop external switch issue  (Read 16761 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: mach3 estop external switch issue
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
OH there is an easy way to do it BUT(;-) not a safe way.

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »
I can see where this may be a bit of a PITA if using a mouse, (personally dont like them on a machine) and although I have a trackball it would still be a PITA to have to move over to reset. I use touch screens so its not an issue for me but if it was then I think the way I would do things is fit a momentary switch on the panel to do the reset, as long as you have one spare input it would be easy to do.
Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
Surley it's only a PITA if you're doing it often and then I have to ask - why are you hitting the e-stop often? Surely if you have to hit e-stop you should be more worried about getting some new pants rather than having to reset Mach.  ;D

Ian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Nah, I am lazy and once or twice in a day having to press with a mouse would be once or twice too much ;D  My E-Stops control the contactors to the servos, amongst other things, so when I am not using the lathe its in E-Stop as people are always in and out of my narrow workshop so its only safe to do that.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
yeah, i tried it too.
Mach just stay in reset mode beacause the chargepump will reset it 10 times a second.
As for the fingers. I have been working with lathes and mills since 5 years. I was 18 when i got into machines and now i am 23 and luckily i still have all of my fingers.
Well, i will forget about this reset button from now as all of you are saying that it is dangerous. But do the commercial machines also lack this feature. I mean do they need to click something to get out of the estop mode after unlatching that mushroom?

jasminder singh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
To be honest I am not so sure it is dangerous, IF the machine is set up so that the E-Stop button controlled everything hardware and things such as limits also controlled the hardware such as contactors.
 On my Bridgeport for example the limits, E-Stop etc are all in the E-Stop string so if I hit a limit then I need to press an override button to get off them. If I hit the E-Stop then I need to untwist the button to be able to reset. Not really sure how commercial controls are set up so cant really comment on that but I would hazard a guess most dont set up Mach the way my E-Stop string is so I can see where it could be dangerous.

Maybe I am not seeing the problems Terry et al are seeing though even if the machine is set the way I have mine but I definitely agree its not such a good idea with normal setups.

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
All commercial controllers have a 2 step process to RESTART the machine from estop. It is a required safety feature IF you want to build machines AND keep your retirement funds from the lawyers hands.

Same with startmotion on hand pendants. All motion starts SHOULD require a 2 button push to move. One is the safety the other is the function. AND requires a seperation distance so you cannot use 2 fingers on the same hand as easy access(;-).

You are young yet, you really DON't want to see what can happen with machines in motion and fragile human body parts.

The fingers/hand/arm/life you save MAY be your own. (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
Hand held pendants used with Mach are not something I like  I am afraid. I can see how they would be useful for large area machines such as big routers but I am betting there are very few that have real E-Stops on them.

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
Pendants are VERY handy for setups. It would be tough to do plasma without one after you used one for a while(;-) Same with routers. Heck even for blind goats and their Bridgeports.

BUT safety first. AND they can be the cause for a runaway.  Been there done that one as well. Machine hit the limits/stops wide open.

What scares me the most  are the Wireless game controllers, But that is just me, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
I made one for my Bridgeport and used it a couple of times and it then got put on the shelf, not for me I am afraid :) I had the E-Stop hard wired from the pendant into the E-Stop string on my machine as well as the software signal to Mach, wouldnt have it any other way, I like to know when I whack the E-Stop it will stop and not rely on software to make it do so.

Totally agree regards wireless.

Hood