Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:05:20 AM

Author Topic: advice please  (Read 5573 times)

Offline DMF

•  17 17
    • View Profile
advice please
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
I have an old CNC router with an 18"x18" table, running with DanCad on a Windows 98 machine. I am thinking of updating the computer. What do I need besides an new computer (netbook for portability and other uses), a docking station to provide a parrallel port (this is the interface in use today), and Mach3? I am also looking at buying TurboCad or ViaCad to do the drawings and building the .dxf files.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
advice please
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:18:38 AM »
Hi DMF,

Welcome to the forum.

From experience, I suggest that an old PC (WinXP) with a parallel port but not having on-board graphics, which is dedicated to just running the machine with Mach3, may be more suitable.
Your laptop/netbook etc could then be used to run your CAD/CAM and create the GCode (I use a USB memory stick to transfer the GCode from my laptop to PC).
CAD/CAM software is really a matter of chioce but there are plenty, perhaps function limited 'try before you buy' to help you choose. No one software does it all so you will end up with a few different types depending on what you are planning on making with your machine.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum and a wealth of members only too willing to help if you need assistance.

Good fortune with your project.

Tweakie.
PEACE