Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:19:47 PM

Author Topic: Missed Features  (Read 3797 times)

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
Missed Features
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
I just noticed that if one has been using a customized screen set for a number of years, then some enhancements found in the updates may not be in effect.

Namely, the case at hand is the Gcode button. Even tho I have .042.020 loaded, my Gcode button still returned the older rather basic spreadsheet type format.

Screen4 showed that my Gcode button had the “OEM Code Function 8” checked and that the current 1024 screen set has “VB Script Function Edited in Mach3” selected.

Changed the function option selection and copied and pasted the VB code “HtmlDialog(GetMainFolder()+"Mach3MillGcode.htm" )“ into the Gcode button.  Now I have the enhanced format. The file “Mach3MillGode.htm” was already downloaded from the newer updates.

Makes me wonder if I’m missing any other new features?

If this has been previously discussed I apologize, I missed it, and so it’s new to me. (And possibly others?).

Al Lenz

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Missed Features
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
Hi Al,

Thanks for the information - that is something I had never thought about.

I must admit that I am no longer keen to load new versions of Mach after the macro probing routine problems crept in and then loosing the E1P0/E1P1 commands which worked so well in the older versions.  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
Yep I agree with Tweaky. It is not always advantages to upgrade. I have one last machine on MACH3 and I am holding way back in versions as it is the most stable and predicatable.

But to the subject line, THAT is the price you pay when you use a custom screen set and the Author does NOT do the maintance to keep it up to data for the newer versions.

OR he is HOLDING at that version because he KNOWS it works and the newer version may not work as well.

Take your pick, (;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »
I just noticed that if one has been using a customized screen set for a number of years, then some enhancements found in the updates may not be in effect.

This specific "feature" is missing because it's a different screen.
OEM Code 8 directs you to page 8 in the screenset. The old g-code list was a separate page in the screen.

But to the subject line, THAT is the price you pay when you use a custom screen set and the Author does NOT do the maintance to keep it up to data for the newer versions.

OR he is HOLDING at that version because he KNOWS it works and the newer version may not work as well.

I specifically chose not to use features found in the 3.43.********* versions of Mach3 in my screens, so they would be backward compatible. And once I found out that the M6 macro is broken in the current lockdown, I started recommending my screen users to use 3.42.020 or 3.42.040.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Version 3.42.020  NOW that was a good year(;-)

(;-) TP

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:05 AM »

Hi TP

I was going to ask how one is expected to be made aware of such screen set changes, but a review of the version log turned up this:

Feb 10/2008
Release 3.034
-- Fixed Display for Machine softlimits
-- Added new HTML Gcode help dialog
-- Added VB Debug messages to help fix reported VB problems

So the “Author” (me) wishes to apologize to the user (also me) for this negligence in maintaining the screen set. I can’t imagine how I (the author) let this slip by me. <Grin>

Seriously, I only wanted to point out that new releases may have changes/enhancements in the screen set that the average user may or may not be aware of and in any case will require manualy adding to their screen set.

Al

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
HIYA AL, DOn't be hard on yourself(;-) most updates  are suttle and rarely change how anything works. 

NOW get back to screen writing (;-)

Good Job, (;-) TP