Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:49:45 AM

Author Topic: What computer is best for controller and cad/cam software.  (Read 14514 times)

What computer is best for controller and cad/cam software.
« on: December 09, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
Hello, I will soon be receiving a cnc mill with mach 3 and then later some cad/cam software that is still undecided at this time. I will also be purchasing a computer just for this mill. Being brand new at this with zero experience I would like some advise on what is recommended as far as hardware goes along with the best version of XP I should get. For example do I want to avoid AMD processors or are they recommended? XP media or professional or will the home version do?   ???  Or most likely it doesn't matter.

Kevin

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: What computer is best for controller and cad/cam software.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »
Sounds like you want one PC to both run the machine and do your CAD CAM work? Pretty much any 1Ghz or better will run Mach3 fine, butCADCAM is another story. Most current processors will work just fine, the big difference makers are the video cards, which can be half the price of a PC for good ones.

I'd recommend a dual core processor, as they are pretty cheap and very common now, and can make a big difference when multitasking. 10 months ago when I bought a new PC, Athlon X2's delivered the most bang for the buck. All that changed when Intel released the CoreDuo and Core2Duo. Much faster and cooler running, and still relatively inexensive if you stay away from the fastest available. If you don't need the greatest and latest video card, a decent gaming card like a 6800GS or GT should be fine.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Ok. I went and bought 2 used HP computers with 2.5 Ghz. and .5 GB RAM, one for the mill and MACH 3 and one for the CAD. Now my old AutoCAD won't work with XP and I would like to know what software I should get. There are some links to free software under tools and I assume these work well with MACH or else they wouldn't be there. Can someone recommend one to me? I prefer one that is user friendly over one that is more powerful since I am brand new to machining and CNC.

Thanks.

Kevin

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:42:20 PM »
Lazy Cam comes with Mach. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
LazyCam is a good DXF conversion to G-Code, but not used for design.

For the beginner, my personal preference is BobCAD.  It has some controversial interfacing and methods, but…. For the money, it has few competitors.

Once you start with a system, it's always a large learning curve, but after you get the hang of it..... it becomes second nature.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:55:29 PM by borrisl »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »
True, my bad. I use Auto Sketch. Simple to use and runs about $130.00. Made by Autodesk, same folks as autocad. It will let you save in a lot of common formats.

Brett

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
True, my bad. I use Auto Sketch. Simple to use and runs about $130.00. Made by Autodesk, same folks as autocad. It will let you save in a lot of common formats.

Brett

Is this what you recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTODESK-AUTOSKETCH-9-CAD-AUTO-SKETCH-SOFTWARE-NEW_W0QQitemZ150080744899QQihZ005QQcategoryZ188QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
I have been using CADX11 with success.  Documentation is pretty limited and it can be quirky at times, but the price is right (FREE).  Pieces I have designed ranged from 1x2 inches to 5x9 inches in size.  Sizes limited by my small TAIG mill.  Repeatability was good.

Design in CADX, save, then export as DXF into LazyCam.  Takes some getting used to quirks on both sides, but I have been satisfied. 

Here is link to the site :http://www.graytechsoftware.com/

Disclaimer - I have no relationship with graytech.  Not working for anyone else (ask my wife).

Good luck

Bob @ BobsShop
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »
I have been using CADX11 with success.  Documentation is pretty limited and it can be quirky at times, but the price is right (FREE).  Pieces I have designed ranged from 1x2 inches to 5x9 inches in size.  Sizes limited by my small TAIG mill. Repeatability was good.

Design in CADX, save, then export as DXF into LazyCam.  Takes some getting used to quirks on both sides, but I have been satisfied. 

Here is link to the site :http://www.graytechsoftware.com/

Disclaimer - I have no relationship with graytech. Not working for anyone else (ask my wife).

Good luck

Bob @ BobsShop

I'll give it a try and let you know what I think of it.

I downloaded something called A9CAD from a freeware site yesterday and it sucked bad.

Thanks.

Kevin

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:00:59 PM »
Hey Kevin,
   Yes, that is what I use. If you get it and need some help, PM me.

Brett