Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:09:52 PM

Author Topic: Carousel Tool Changer  (Read 2954 times)

Carousel Tool Changer
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
Hi I am retro fitting a Partner VM15 with mach3 and deva pci motion control card. I am struggling with a tool change macro.
It will have to count the pockets on the carousel store the last pocket,orientate the spindle and move the z axis to the tool change postion.
The pocket count is done with proximity switches and the carousel rotates with a small motor a small piston pushes the carousel out.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Carousel Tool Changer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:03:45 AM »
Not good enough at VB to help I am afraid :9 I have done a few toolchangers (two on my lathe, one for someone elses lathe and also one for a boxford mill) but I did most in the ladder of a PLC. On the Boxford it originally had a single prox which  counted  tool positions like yours but that was changed to a few optos so that each position was never in doubt. May not be something you want to do but it is what I would prefer and I think also would make the macro writing easier and to my mind less likely to get the wrong tool position.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
On a side note, I have never heard of the deva cards before but just looked up their site. How are you finding them or is this the first time you have used it with Mach?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
Hi Hood Yes This is a first on all counts first retro fit first time with these cards. Their price is a sensible £795 plus 20% uk sales tax.
16 opticaly isolated i/o's 4 axis or 3 plus spindle we will have see on the spindle front they are not sure on this because I want rigid tapping not bad for the money.
They are very forth comming with info and are keen to help with mach3 so we will see.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
The Bloody VAT is a killer if not VAT registered :(

Keep us updated how you get on with it. Seems to be quite a few of the external controller do or hope to do rigid tapping in the future so it can only be a good thing :)
Hood