Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:22 AM

Author Topic: Breakout Board  (Read 7579 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Breakout Board
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
If people have ideas they would like to see incorporated, now is the time to speak.

All input opto's must accept the 3.3 Volt TTL standard.
All outputs should be suitable for driving both the 3.3 Volt and 5 Volt TTL standards.
Don't put opto's on the step and direction outputs or if you do then provide a bypass connection.

That's all I can think of at present.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline croy

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Hi Hood,

I designed mine because I wanted to convert a hobby Myford ML7 to CNC, and was disappointed by current low cost boards and the need to use multilpe boards.

Although i currently develop using PIC micro's, i feel these may well be insufficient for Motor control and I have not touched FPG's in 12 years, due to a career change. So you can see why i am reluctant as a first go to jump in boots and all.

However if you are willing to write down some details of what you would like to see on a basic "Industrial" board controlled by Parallel Port, I'll look into it and see how achievable it woud be with minimal change to my current design or using minimal microcontroller functionality.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »

However if you are willing to write down some details of what you would like to see on a basic "Industrial" board controlled by Parallel Port, I'll look into it and see how achievable it woud be with minimal change to my current design or using minimal microcontroller functionality.

I think the point was more that in the industrial world, they are not using the PP.  TCP/IP is far better and more reliable, but beyond that, most external controllers such as offerings from Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics, Burny, etc.  are stand a one controllers where everything is housed in one enclosure. 

In the light industrial environment, you still find PC's and separate controllers...and the PP, but I/O is usually done with PLC's using 24VDC inputs.  For that, a breakout board is still needed, but it doesn't have to be full of bells and whistles.  IMO, if the PMDX-122 could accept AC input power, it would be perfect.

Offline croy

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »
Thanks Tweakie, Good point

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
Well I will unlikely buy a breakout board again as I will be moving over to external control devices that have 24v I/O on any future builds I do  so wouldnt want to make you change any plans. If I was doing my builds that I have at the moment which use the SmoothStepper then I would have loved a BOB that had 24v rather than 5v I/O.
Hopefully more people will see the benefits of going to 24v I/O, even on small home built machines, its just so much more noise resistant and would solve a lot of occasional issues people have.

Hood

Offline croy

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 01:38:08 AM »
When you sat I/O there are two busses. the one to the PC which is 5V and the one to the machine, which n mine is 12v.

if you want the one to the machine at 24v then this is very achievable.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »
Yes it would be the machine side of the BOB that would be 24v or configurable if possible. Dont know enough about electronics, in fact I know Sweet FA ;) But the drives I use can have the I/O in them set between 10 and 30v and what voltage that will be is determined by the voltage you supply to the I/O power terminals. That would definitely be a nice feature to have if possible as hopefully more will see the advantage of using the higher voltages for machine side I/O

But as said personally I will be unlikely to buy another BOB as the external controllers I, more than likely, will use in the future already have 24v I/O and dedicated 5v for Step/Dir.
Hood