Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:52:57 AM

Author Topic: Manual Z up/down while code running on my gantry torch.  (Read 4848 times)

Manual Z up/down while code running on my gantry torch.
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
I have set the configuration to allow THC up/down even if not in THC mode, I have enabled input signals for THC up and down, have enable emulation for both and have assigned hotkeys for both....others here have said in the past that this will allow keyboard jog of my Z axis while a program is running. I just can not make it work. Help please!
I just recently started using the wireless xbox360 to control my gantry torch and it would be great if I were able to raise and lower the torch while cutting using the remote. I am set up using Galil (plugin with 1840 card); I have a handwheel that works through a Galil aux encoder input for the Z on the main panel that works well, but really want to be able to Move Z from the Xbox360 while code running. I am at a dead end after hours and hours. Any input would be appreciated.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Z up/down while code running on my gantry torch.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
That trick may ONLY work with a LPT version of mach. I KNOW it works with the LPT. But I use it with a hardwired BUTTON to 2 inputs and a simple hand pendant. Many otheres have as well.

The galil may not handle the THC in the same manner depending on the plugin.

Please be VERY carefull with the wirless GAME controller it was never ment to be used in a machine control application. It does NOT have the proper built in safeguards that commercial wireless units have that were designed to be run in this enviroment(noise,com loss safety, 2 button safety interface,etc)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:00:25 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »
I'll try it with the LPT interface to see if I can make it work. As to the safety issue, I would never use the game controller on a mill or lathe as they move fast and have powerful axis motors. My torch is harmless (slow plus low forces) in any runaway scenario. You will not believe how nice it is losing the cord and being able to walk all around the gantry while it is running and control feedrate, feedhold, start, stop, home, jog, etc. It is a big machine, 6' x 12' travels.  It is killing me though not being able to figure out how to raise/lower Z while cutting! I have never been one to give up, so will report here when I figure it out.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
I have not used the Xbox plugin does the Wireless have buttons that you can assign to do things? If so have you tried assigning those buttons to THCup and THCdown? You may have to use the macropump or Brain to get them linked up.

Let me know IF I can be of help

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:31:21 AM by BR549 »
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
Yes, the Xbox360 plugin does allow assignment of mach button pushes. THC up and THC down are not among the available choices though. TP, I believe you are right that the Galil plugin omits code for the THC up down buttons. I am currently working on setting up 2 buttons to command the Galil directly using the NotifyPlugins command. I will try PR,,4000;BGZ and PR,,-4000;BGZ. This should work unless NotifyPlugins is not allowed during a mach code run. Of course all of a sudden now this thread belongs under the Galil topic. Oh, and by the way those of you that have never played with Galil and servos are missing out. Steppers are so boring. For less than $500 you can pick up on e-bay a Galil 18x2 card, breakout and cable. Add to that a couple of small, cheap DC motors with encoders, power supply, and a couple of drives and you are ready to go. The Galil plugin for mach works flawlessly in my shop.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
Update: Motion commands directly to galil with NotifyPlugins () is not the answer...looks like there is no way with the current plugin to adjust Z with the xbox 360 while running g-code. I did discover though that I can run a short program inside the galil to update GM and GR ten times per second and override commands from mach which attempt to turn off the mpg. I can now cut non-flat steel plate and adjust the torch height real time while cutting...just can't do it with the wireless.  I will continue trying to figure it out. I would welcome any ideas???

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
OK can you create 2 macros to do the same thing 1 for raise the other for lower. Then assign each macros to a button??

(;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »
I tried the macro idea using NotifyPlugins() to command the galil. That worked, but timing was a problem. After a button push and a second or two delay, the axes would pause, the macro would kick in for the Z jog, and then axes start back to normal program run....the pause of the axes is not acceptable. I think that mach and the galil plugin really dislike any interference with program run. I wish I could get a copy of the plugin source code to play with.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
Have you talked to Steve M over in the Galil section. He wrote the plugin maybe he can mod it for you

(;-0 TP