Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:47:46 PM

Author Topic: mach turn for mill questions..?  (Read 5117 times)

mach turn for mill questions..?
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
I am currently trying to make mach turn run on my sx3 mill. Having a bit of trouble since I do not  understanding the axis configuration in mach. Is there i/o that i need to setup differently in the turn ports and pins . A little lost and just need some basics in the lathe and mach turn department. Ive operated a manual plenty of times but never a cnc unit. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: mach turn for mill questions..?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
It should be the same, that is if you have your mill configured correctly.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
Homing seems to act a little different, when i go to home all it does nothing, set z or x does home individual, The  number in the dro also shows a huge difference and should be in inches as set up in my units.
I havent had any problems with mach mill with config been working fine. Im using  Z down in turn -Z or does this change  kept getting a reset limit error and would not let me bypass limits what can be the problems that im having. tried a wizard to have a basepoint and kept saying out of limits boundry something like that.
Are there any good links on this subject or info. Thanks hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
If you attach the xml for your mill and the one for the Turn profile I will have a look for you.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
mill xml
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
turn xml

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
aoak had a look at the xml and they seem reasonab ly consistent, few differences but axis and homes seem the same.
I do not use and have never used the standard lathe screenset so it could well be that that is causing issues. I have just looked at the OEM codes for the Home buttons in it and they are specific to Turn.

I made my screen up with standard buttons rather than Turn specific ones, might be worth your while copying the 1024.set to a different location, rename it to Lathe.lset and then place it back in the Mach folder. You could then load it from Turn and you would have a familiar layout to mess about with.

Maybe the Turn manual has details on the way the buttons work, never read it so dont realy know but must be worth a look.

Now I know there are issues with SoftLimits in Turn so best switch them off at this time.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »
Oh you do have the Active states of the Step and Dir opposite in Turn compared to Mill so that will reverse the axis however you have the X reversed in Homing and limits so that should be correct, just the other two not.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
Would I still have access to to the wizards and also should i revers y z  for the 1024lathel.set in homing to be correct ?
Thanks for your expertise Hood you've gotten me out of a few binds in the past and always come up with a solution.let me give it a shot.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
The Turn wizards should load although you may have to restart Mach after you have opened the modified screenset for the first time.
If you load a .set screenset things are set up for a mill type setup, if you open a .lset screenset then Mach will change to a lathe type setup.

If your axis move the correct way in Mill then you should likely have them the same way in Turn.
An easy way to use all your Mill settings would be to copy your mill xml to desktop, rename then place back in the Mach folder and then open the renamed profile, that way all settings will e the same and you would only then need to load a .lset to change it to a Turn profile.
Hood