Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:58:49 PM

Author Topic: How to wire proximity switches  (Read 3577 times)

How to wire proximity switches
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »
I have a FlexiCam table router that I need to wire up the proximity switches. They are three wire, Blue, Brown and Black. I'm not too sure which wire is the positive and which one is the signal wire. Also I don't know how much clearance there should be between the switch and the contact strip.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: How to wire proximity switches
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »
The info presented in this document may be of interest to you.  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C10R10_USER_MANUAL_V2.pdf

You need to establish the voltage and if they are NPN or PNP. If this information can't be determined then it may be wise to replace then with new parts of known specification.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
The colours in common use for most makes are Blue -v Brown +, Black load.
Is there a part # on the unit then further info can be posted.
N.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
The info presented in this document may be of interest to you.  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C10R10_USER_MANUAL_V2.pdf

You need to establish the voltage and if they are NPN or PNP. If this information can't be determined then it may be wise to replace then with new parts of known specification.

Tweakie.

I think most proximity switches can handle 12 volts (think I read that somewhere). There must be a way to test the switch to see if it's NPN or PNP? 8 switches at $75 each isn't going to happen, must be a way to try and wire up one switch as a NPN and try it, if it doesn't work then it must be PNP?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:27 AM »
I think most proximity switches can handle 12 volts (think I read that somewhere). There must be a way to test the switch to see if it's NPN or PNP? 8 switches at $75 each isn't going to happen, must be a way to try and wire up one switch as a NPN and try it, if it doesn't work then it must be PNP?

Sound like an excellent way to make expensive smoke.  ;D ;D
(Who knows, you could just be lucky).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
If they are open collector, then there should be no problem hooking a load up either way to determine , NPN/PNP, they just will not operate in one of the modes,  and as long as the colour code conforms to the common standard.
N.