Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:29:54 PM

Author Topic: LC never produces valid GCode  (Read 7124 times)

LC never produces valid GCode
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
Hello there,

I just followed both tutorials for Lazycam and tried to reproduce the simple foam examples but my version does not create the gcode like in the video. I load LC and the AFoamTest2.dxf. Then pick my tool (3mm 2cut) which is able to cut 1 mm per pass. Then set the depth to -3 units and SetAllLayers. Chain#2 is missing in the resulting gcode.

Another example: I draw a simple 2D figure in TurboCAD MAC 5 and export it as DXF R12. The depth setting of -10 goes away every time I switch to the layer tab. The resulting gcode has only one single pass and no depth. I attached the DXF for review.

LC is version 3.00, Mach3 is 3.042.40. I'm a paying customer.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: LC never produces valid GCode
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:55:18 AM »
LC has more little quirks than I could count, perhaps that's why it remained a beta.
You need to practice at it, experiment a bit, and it will work and produce very good results.

I just ran your example through LC and depth data seems OK.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:31:03 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

thanks for looking at it. Your file is in fact better than my tries. Can we compare our steps please?
1. right after starting LC, load the DXF via the file menu/open command
2. click on CLEAR and OPTIMIZE
3. rearrange the groups so that both half circles are cut in order of the outer shape
4. select the layer and choose a tool - set all layers
5. select the layer again and set the cut depth to -10 - set all layers
6. post gcode
Is this approximately what you did?

One other thing comes into mind: if it cuts exactly on the blue lines with a 3mm tool, the result will be 3mm too small in x and y, right? Would one use offsetting in that case?

Thanks
Hoagie

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:43:54 AM »
Hi Hoagie,

That's what I did only I missed out steps 2 & 3 (only because it was an example and not code I was going to use).

I am not the best person to answer questions on LC as I don't actually use it any more but yes the G41 / G42 cutter radius compensation would have to be added to the code to obtain the correct size product. (To use the offsets function within LC requires the licensed version, I believe).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
Hi Tweakie,

your help is very appreciated, thanks!

Please have a look at my file from try #14 in the attachement. Any readers are welcome to have a look, too. I have no idea why your file and mine are so different. My one even has a G42 command as you suggested, but every try has only one path in one depth - ArtSoft, that's not funny. :-((

My last chance is to ask someone here on the forum to convert the file for me with unknown results. (I try to avoid asking you again, Tweakie. You helped a lot already.)
I'm not sure, but it might be a sign to start learning g-code now...

Regards
Hoagie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
Hoagie,
See attached. The dxf is based on file posted in reply #4.
If you want to use offsets in LC you need the licensed version.
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:58:39 AM »
Hi Hoagie,

I don't understand either as I am not doing anything different to you.
Just a thought - are you setting the depth of cut for your selected tool#  correctly ? because this is what determines how many passes the tool path makes.

Tweakie.

nb. (Your code contains a G43 not the tool radius offset G42)  :'(
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »
Thanks Rich,

with your dxf I'm able to reproduce at least 2 passes. I've choosen a tool with 3mm dia and the rest as in your screenshot. My depth per pass is 1 and my cut depth is -10. The result is two passes but should be 10. Perhaps it has to do with the rapid height which is 5 in my setup. Every change in those parameters does not lead to different results.

Just to mention it: my material is 60 by 60 by 10 mm. The Z0 is on top of the material surface. The tool is 3mm and has to go 10mm deep (to Z-10). As it can go 0,25mm per pass, it should need 40 passes.

Now I had about 40 tries but none of it produced g-code with more than 2 passes. I give up on that point.

Another issue is with my dxf. As already mentioned it comes out of TurboCAD 5 Mac and it is in some unknown way different than Rich's dxf. Don't know why. Even if I put the lines and the circles in different layers - after it was in LC, only one circle appears in Mach3. The others are all missing.

@RICH: I realized the red lines in Z direction - do they have a special purpose or are those only helpers?

@Tweakie: There should be no difference. See above. Thanks for the hint - I insert the G42 manually.

Ok, that's enough for now and my spare time is used up. Thanks everybody for helping. I'll be trying LC when it got out of beta. I've just learned g-code and will do this with Notepad.

Thanks
Hoagie

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
Hoagie,
Perhaps it has to do with the rapid height which is 5 in my setup
Not really...makes no difference ...works here
See pic

As it can go 0,25mm per pass, it should need 40 passes.
I know i am working in imperial units  but it doesn't matter. Interesting in that LC only shows 20 passe when i modified the max tool depth pass, BUT, if you look at the generated code and Mach screen you will see that there are 40 passes generated in the code.
SO, seems LC may restrict what is shown in it's graphics, and that is a new one for me. Frankly don't think I ever had to make 40 passes on something out of LC, thus,
never picked up on this one.  :o Guess you win the grand prize and your name goes into the hall of fame. :D
See pic

LC when it got out of beta
LC is no longer being developed and willl remain a Beta product.

spare time is used up
Same here..... ;)

RICH

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:11:19 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
Every change in those parameters does not lead to different results.
When you change the max depth of pass for the tool make sure that your are UPDATING the tool...the window closes. Then go back and select the tool again
and apply to all layers. You should see the max depth change when you in the layer flyout, which you then use to set the total depth (it should be a negative depth).
RICH