Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:33:26 AM

Author Topic: KSI Labs Centipede Controler Board  (Read 4126 times)

KSI Labs Centipede Controler Board
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
Hi CNC Friends

It's time for my second machine build and I have been looking at my options.

I have been studying the KSI Labs Centipede Control Board and Breakout Board combo and by reading what is on their web site   http://www.ksilabs.com/   they look very good. Has anyone had actual experience with them and would like to report back what they have found.
Thanks
Steve W.

Re: KSI Labs Centipede Controler Board
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHO MIGHT BE USING KSI PRODUCTS AND OUTCOME...I EMAILED SERGEY AT KSI FOR INFO ABOUT DSP BOARD THAT IS COMPLETE WITH NO SOFTWARE YET AND MAYBE FOR A 1 YEAR WAIT...! 

I ALSO AM BUILDING NEW RETRO MACHINE BOSTO MILL...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
Not tried one so not really giving the info you asked for but I looked at it when it first came out but sadly the 100KHz max frequency was a killer for me. I believe there may now be electronic gearing but that doesnt really interest me as I could have done that in the servo drives anyway.
 The I/O is 5v but Sergey had said it was easy enough to change to 24v, think it was just a resistor but it was a year or so back so cant remember exactly.
There are one or two people on the Yahoo group that use them so maybe a post there will get you replies.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »
Hi Rush
Well I did buy a set of the centipede control board, breakout board and cable and have used it off and on for about a year. It does what it say's it does, It is reliable, It has a mile of inputs and outputs. And for a stepper based system I would recommend it highly. As far a speed goes it's no better then a parallel port - but for inputs and outputs it's great. They are also extremely well made.
I used it in my Lathe which has high count encoders and the centipede was not fast enough so I moved to a Ethernet Smooth Stepper (which are also not perfect but fast enough).
Sergey is working on an add on board to bring the centipede speed up as well as a lot of other features such as closed loop control and when this happens I think the centipede will be the pick of the external motion control systems.
So yes I do recommend it if you don't have a servo system with high count encoders. (the new add ons could be out any time so keep an eye on his website).
Steve  
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT STEVE AND HOOD.... LET ME ASK, IS THE 100KHZ REALLY A PROBLEM ?.. HOW ABOUT DC BRUSH SERVOS THAT CAME WITH BOSTOMATIC MILL 1250 QUAD - DC MAX 70 VOLT- 1000 RPM MAX DIRECT FEED TO SCREWS ?... SINCE I NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO RUN THIS MACHINE BEFORE STRIPPING IT I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW IT PERFORMS.. YOUR COMMENTS APPRECIATED...AND THANK YOU..

KENT..
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:44:17 AM »
Hi Kent
My servo's are 10,000 counts per rev. 3000rpm maximum speed, to run at full speed I need 500 kHz for 1 axis.
The answer to your question is found by multiplying your servo's maximum rpm by the counts of your encoders and dividing that number by 60. (eg: 10,000 x 3000 / 60). You may need 3 axis' to run at once so that will increase the need by 3.  Find out the specifications of your motors and encoders and go from there to find out if 100 kHz will be fast enough.
Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:20:44 AM »
You may need 3 axis' to run at once so that will increase the need by 3. 
Unless the centipede is different from Machs Parallel Port driver then the amount of axis does not mean you need a higher kernel, the frequency is per axis so for example if you required 100KHz on an axis you coulld run all axis at 100KHz.

Might also be worth looking at the devices from http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/index.php they are looking good, differential Step/Dir, 24v I/O, analogue I/O and options for expansion. They have a cheaper version for around €220 but it is just 120KHz maz but the bigger ones are I think 4MHz.
I will likely be purchasing one when the encoder module comes on sale as I will be using it on a lathe and the module is required for lathe threading and hopefully rigid tapping in the future.

Hood