Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:47:31 AM

Author Topic: Chinese Machine; no spindle control  (Read 5061 times)

Chinese Machine; no spindle control
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
I am a greenie with a freshly delivered machine from China. Needless to say, the documentation is pretty bad. I've got everything wired and hooked up and the XYZ all moves according to inputs and the limit switches all work but when I try to toggle the spindle it trips the reset off with the message that PWM bumped to minimum. Running the configuration check reports no errors. Running the Port Test reports system excellent set at kernel speed of 25000 Hz. The manufacturer's paperwork shows kernel setting at 100 Khz, but that didn't help and did show the pulse too fast errors. I am running Windows XP on a 2.6Ghz processor on a stripped down, non-Internet connected computer so there is no background interference. The spindle pins are supposed to be 16 and 17 but the circuit board definition for 16 says: STEP B-pass extension interface DB9 pin 8, and 17 says: DIR B-pass extension interface DB9 pin 7. So, any ideas on how to make the spindle run? It is a 1.5kw unit on 220V. I've attached the XML.
Thanks very much,
Alan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Machine; no spindle control
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
Afraid that is a pirate licence you are using.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I fixed the license problem, but that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »
Well it did help in the respect that others will be willing to help ;)
Do you have documentation on the PWM controller you are using?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
BTW did you set a spindle speed?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
Oh and you are still using the pirate licence.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Thanks again... I have purchased and installed the new license, and the program header reflects this change. I saved the XML file to overwrite the old one and assumed it would show the change but had to rename it in order to upload it on this forum. I don't know why it wouldn't reflect the new license. I set the spindle maximum speed at 24,000 rpm and minimum at 0. I don't have any documentation on the PWM controller, which I assume is the VFD circuit board.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »
I am meaning have you set the RPM so that when you switch on the spindle it has an RPM to go to, if not I would imagine you would get the PWM bumped to min message. See screenshot below, the first shows typing a speed direct to the DRO and pressing enter key the second shows how you can switch the spindle on and set a speed via the MDI line.

I have never set up a spindle other than via a servo with Step/Dir so I am not sure exactly how it works but others have so I am sure if that doesnt solve the problems they will help.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:14:39 AM »
Setting a spindle speed by either of the methods you describe results in tripping the Reset button. I believe I have a configuration problem with getting Mach3 to recognize the spindle. The parallel port definitions show pin 16 as a STEP and 17 as a DIR which I don't know if is compatible with PWM control, or if I should specify pin 14 which is for a relay. At any rate I've tried all of the above combinations and get no results.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:24 AM »
Do you not have any documentation at all?
Hood