Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:54:12 PM

Author Topic: G100 Limit Inputs in MACH3  (Read 6077 times)

Offline KG

•  7 7
    • View Profile
G100 Limit Inputs in MACH3
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:43:58 PM »
Hi list,

Has anyone setup limit switches with Mach & a G100.  I've got the hardware working (lite comes up on the G100), but can't seem to get Mach to see the switch.  I tried going into >Ports&Pins>InputSignals, but these don't seem to pertain to the G100.  Any clues would be appreciated.

Best,

Kenneth

Re: G100 Limit Inputs in MACH3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »
On mine they are set to port 1 (1-20)  same with outputs

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:30:15 AM »
Same here.

chad
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
Kenneth,

I just got my limits sorted out.  Here's a little more complete explanation:

Go to Config>Config Plugins>G100 Plugin>Config>Real time Status Window.
It should look like the attached JPEG.  In the control logic section there is a row of 16 boxes that coincide with pins 1 thru 16 on the G100 and with the numbers 1 thru 16 when you enable an input in Ports&Pins>InputSignals.  They are labeled as pins currently being monitored for halt.  Below the row of 16, is a row of 6 boxes.  These coincide with the six limit switches X thru C on the G100 and with the numbers 17 thru 22 in Ports&Pins>InputSignals.  So, in my example JPEG, I have enabled the C++ and C-- limits and assigned Port 1, Pin 22.

If you look down below in Current IO Status you'll see the actual state of what is happening with the G100.  You want these two Status windows to agree.  Again, in my example, the C limit is check because I have a switch hooked up to it and the led on the G100 is lit.  If I activate the switch, the light on the G100 will go out, the check mark will disappear and the LEDs in the Diagnostics section of Mach3 will come on.

Regards,
Walt

Offline JB

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »
01Sporty,
 Thanks for the thorough laymens explanation of what you're working on. I am behind you (hopefully not too far) at the stage of trying to get motor movement using the same setup of Mach3/G100, and many of the answers that I get to questions are so short and cryptic that they might as well tell nothing. I'm going to save your post for future reference.

Again thanks, more people should be as good a technical writer as you. The interactions of the Mach3/G100 combo does lack alot for documentation. I definitiley plan on adding my knowledge, once gained, to the Wiki for this.

Engineers out there - Say guys, I'm an engineer too, just the mechanical side of the house (and definitely not a progammer), let's speak plain english once in a while.

Best regards,
John
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »
Thanks John,

I've actually gotten to where I'm starting to iron out mechanical bugs.  It's almost a refreshing change.

If you get your limits working, let me know if your system will let you reset and back off the limits.  Right now, if I run into the limits, mine won't get off the limit.  Pretty annoying especially since we're waiting for the soft limits to become functional.  I'm hoping it's a bug in Mach3.  Those usually get taken care of pretty fast.  Or even better, some little thing that I'm overlooking.

Regards,
Walt

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »
We will work on docs when the new firmware comes out and the device is working to the point that we are happy with it... The doc's are a long hard job :(
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline JB

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:29:01 PM »
Brian - Got ya! I know a business day get's eaten up pretty quick. I'll put down my connection schematic and post it so if it's of any use for a manual it's available.

Walt - Got my system running over the weekend. I did get my limit switches working initially.

I'm using 2 switches on the Z axis connected together (lower limit is on an adjustable clamp) and that works great. I can't make sense of the approach distance and back-off distance though(says they are in set-up units, maybe this is step pulses), but it works pretty good.

For the X and Y axis' I am using 2 switches as well, but not connected in the Neg and Pos side. I have the switch for each on the Pos side connected to the LIM port for the respective axis, and the switch for the Neg side connected to the LIM ports of the B and C axis as these axis' are not used by me. The X started having problems late Sunday after I started tuning the motor to avoid a stall I kept getting on a tight point on the leadscrew. Now the Y is having some glitches as well.

This is the routine that my control is doing now...
1. Z axis homes to the switch and backs off - no problem
2. X axis homes to the switch and backs off - no problem
3. Y axis homes to the switch and backs off - no problem
4. X axis jerks hard back into the switch and sets off OT alarm - problem (doesn't mess up the home)
5. Y axis just lately started jerking into the switch right after the X does, and oddly enough this is after the OT alarm is set off by the X.

I can reset the control though and move on - it's just annoying as you've said. I am going to be adjusting the current to the X motor and this may have an effect, as I have the motor tuned all the way up right now and I'm suspicious that may be part of my problem. I did witness the limits working perfectly for about 18 hours though.

Regards,
John